Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp pro will not boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cquack

cquack

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:20 AM

XP Pro will not boot, have tried all the suggestions listed but for some reason my computer doesnt show the same things I am reading about. Will not boot off from CD either, when I did catch it once it gave me a error 7, file i386\halaacpi.dll could not be loaded.

Help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:56 AM

Taken from another Forum:

"First And For most This Is A Review You Can Trust I'm Tired of Users Posting Incorrect Info.

the error file \i386\halaacpi.dll could not be loaded

the error code is 7

The Reason for error: older/Newer drive Not able to read your Instal cd properly (sometimes won't even boot from cd)"

Try changing the DVD/CD drive or the installation media :thumbsup:
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#3 Ravahan

Ravahan

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:21 AM

Have you recently installed any new software or a new drive?

In order to act on my suggestion, you'll need to access the recovery console from your windows CD. If the error you listed happens when you try to boot from the CD, then start ignoring the post here**---------------------------------------

You said you're having trouble booting from CD, do you know how to access the BIOS on your system? On many systems, you hit F2 while the computer is first booting-- Don't hit it more than once per second or you risk locking up your keyboard-- but not on all of them (mine is the DEL key). It should say at the bottom of the screen before windows begins loading.

Once you're in the BIOS... understand this is by nature general directions since I don't know what kind of system you have... You'll need to find the boot order. Change the disk drive to first in the order if it is not already, and then exit your BIOS (be sure you save changes). The computer will restart, and hopefully let you boot from the CD.

When presented with the option, boot into the recovery console. It should bring up a command prompt. The first thing I would attempt is to replace the file directly that is listed in the error message. I took a peek at my windows CD, and halaacpi.dll is listed as DL_, so we'll have to change the extension. For the following commands, I'm going to assume that you're using the default windows root directory, that your hard disk is drive C:\ and your CD is in drive D:\, if this is not correct, please put the correct drive in front of the command lines. Also, as always, remember that we are messing with system files. These directions come with no liability or warranty, expressed or implied. That sounds suitably legal, right?

First, we'll back up the file in question. My PC doesn't have it apparently, or the folder listed as containing it in the BleepingComputer database, so if this directory is invalid get back with us and we'll go from there.

copy c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\halaacpi.dll c:\ (This puts it in a nice easy to remember spot in case we need to find it later)

copy d:\i386\halaacpi.dl_ c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 (This pulls the file from the windows CD onto your computer in the same directory as the old file)

rename c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\halaacpi.dl_ halaacpi.dll (This changes it to a functioning system file.)

You should be asked if you wish to overwrite the file, say yes. Do the following ONLY if that previous line doesn't go through...

rename c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\halaacpi.dll halaacpi.txt (changes the apparently faulty file into a harmless notepad document)
... And repeat the previous rename line.

Next, I would run these commands for good measure; sfc /scannow, followed by a chkdsk /r to make sure your hard drive is in order. Its a good idea to run a chkdsk every now and then anyway. Please note down any error messages recieved.

---------------------------------------------------------**Stop ignoring here if message is from CD boot
If that error message was listed when you try to boot from CD, then what exactly happens when you try to boot into windows? Can you boot into safe mode?

I hope this helps, but please try to be more detailed, it helps a lot to know specifics. :thumbsup:

EDIT: A note, if the error occurs when booting to CD and you are able to access it, this can be done exactly the same through safe mode: command prompt

Edited by Ravahan, 13 July 2009 - 06:27 AM.

#4 cquack

cquack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:13 PM

Have you recently installed any new software or a new drive?

In order to act on my suggestion, you'll need to access the recovery console from your windows CD. If the error you listed happens when you try to boot from the CD, then start ignoring the post here**---------------------------------------

You said you're having trouble booting from CD, do you know how to access the BIOS on your system? On many systems, you hit F2 while the computer is first booting-- Don't hit it more than once per second or you risk locking up your keyboard-- but not on all of them (mine is the DEL key). It should say at the bottom of the screen before windows begins loading.

Once you're in the BIOS... understand this is by nature general directions since I don't know what kind of system you have... You'll need to find the boot order. Change the disk drive to first in the order if it is not already, and then exit your BIOS (be sure you save changes). The computer will restart, and hopefully let you boot from the CD.

When presented with the option, boot into the recovery console. It should bring up a command prompt. The first thing I would attempt is to replace the file directly that is listed in the error message. I took a peek at my windows CD, and halaacpi.dll is listed as DL_, so we'll have to change the extension. For the following commands, I'm going to assume that you're using the default windows root directory, that your hard disk is drive C:\ and your CD is in drive D:\, if this is not correct, please put the correct drive in front of the command lines. Also, as always, remember that we are messing with system files. These directions come with no liability or warranty, expressed or implied. That sounds suitably legal, right?

First, we'll back up the file in question. My PC doesn't have it apparently, or the folder listed as containing it in the BleepingComputer database, so if this directory is invalid get back with us and we'll go from there.

copy c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\halaacpi.dll c:\ (This puts it in a nice easy to remember spot in case we need to find it later)

copy d:\i386\halaacpi.dl_ c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 (This pulls the file from the windows CD onto your computer in the same directory as the old file)

rename c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\halaacpi.dl_ halaacpi.dll (This changes it to a functioning system file.)

You should be asked if you wish to overwrite the file, say yes. Do the following ONLY if that previous line doesn't go through...

rename c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\halaacpi.dll halaacpi.txt (changes the apparently faulty file into a harmless notepad document)
... And repeat the previous rename line.

Next, I would run these commands for good measure; sfc /scannow, followed by a chkdsk /r to make sure your hard drive is in order. Its a good idea to run a chkdsk every now and then anyway. Please note down any error messages recieved.

---------------------------------------------------------**Stop ignoring here if message is from CD boot
If that error message was listed when you try to boot from CD, then what exactly happens when you try to boot into windows? Can you boot into safe mode?

I hope this helps, but please try to be more detailed, it helps a lot to know specifics. :thumbsup:

EDIT: A note, if the error occurs when booting to CD and you are able to access it, this can be done exactly the same through safe mode: command prompt

#5 cquack

cquack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:19 PM

I was working on the internet when we had a power failure. When I turned the PC back on it just goes through checking the system, I have a amd processor, then it beeps and goes black for about 10 seconds, then a white bar that has lines going through it proceeds to a full white bar. Then it goes to Windows startup, it then beep and blue screen appears so fast and disappears you can not tell what it says, then it goes black and we start all over.

Hitting f8 I get Please select boot device
HDS728080plat20
DVDRW 16/16
Network Card

The one time I got to use the dvd DRIVE it gave me the error about halaacpi?

I have not been able to start it in safe mode either?

#6 Ravahan

Ravahan

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:26 PM

This is one thing I really liked about having a floppy drive-- There was always a backup-backup way to boot. If you can't access Safe Mode, and you can't boot to a CD, with those being your only bootable drives... That's quite a pickle. I don't suppose you have a spare CD or DVD drive laying around? Any kind of removable media drive? You should always be able to boot to removable media as long as you have your basic components, a hard disk isn't required.

Another thought is that somehow the windows disk is damaged, since its having trouble loading that file from the disk. If you have a friend who has a windows disk, you could see if theirs will work. Or you could obtain an electronic copy as a backup through one of the file sharing sites. I'm not sure what BC's policy is on that, so I'll leave it there for now.

When it beeps, is it just one short beep or is it different? The beeps are called POST, and they're a diagnostic tool. One short beep means all-clear.

In general, though, I tend not to believe in coincidences... If your PC went down durring a power outage/surge, its very possible that some hardware component was damaged. If you don't have one already, I'd suggest getting a quality surge protector for anything you don't want blown up. I fried a motherboard recently due to power surge... I thought I had a surge protector, but when I really looked at the thing, it was simply an extension cord made into a strip in the style of a surge protector. Very sneaky and misleading, but the thing was cheap enough that I shouldn't complain. Surges may also come through, though more rarely, cable and phone lines. Any line with current can surge. A good surge protector can have plugins for both.

Anyway, let me know on the POST thing.

#7 cquack

cquack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:01 PM

I have a maxtor back drive? Also the beeps are short and only one at a time. I do not know how to access the maxtor drive without windows being up?
I have two CD's for XP pro, used both and neither do not work.
Cquack

#8 vegassounder

vegassounder

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

Remove power cord.
Remove the button battery from your Motherboard.
Wait 1 minute.
Replace the battery.
Replug the power cord.
Restart and tap F2 or Esc to get into Bios.
In bios reset CMOS defaults. (usually F9)
Save and exit.

#9 cquack

cquack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:20 PM

I will do first thing tom when I get home. On my mother board, this battery will be easy to spot right :thumbsup:
cquack

#10 cquack

cquack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

I did as suggested, removed power, battery and tried the f8 key which just brings me to select a location to boot from?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users