Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win 98

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 peterd40

peterd40

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:39 AM

Hi i bought a used comp with win 98 on it about 2 weeks ago for the grand kids all went well till this am and i wont start up now when its turned on i get a black screen with "verifying DMI pool data"and thats it it... will sit ther all day with that message i was looking to find a way to format as it wont boot into it i inever got a boot up disc with it but ido have a win ME that i wanted to put on it any help would be appreciated thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:30 AM

Hi if your win me is a full version and not just for restoring files that have gone missing, then all you have to do is insert the cd into the cd drive, and if it does not start straight away, go to my computer fine the cd drive and you should be able to just click onto it and it should start.
Remember to let it format your drive and do a complete reinstall writing over any old files you have on the hdd.

Keep us informed how it goes, if you get stuck get back to us.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:44 AM

Hi i bought a used comp with win 98 on it about 2 weeks ago for the grand kids all went well till this am and i wont start up now  when its turned on i get a black screen with "verifying DMI pool data"and thats it it... will sit ther all day with that message i was looking to find a way  to format as it wont boot into it i inever got a boot up disc with it but ido have a win ME that i wanted to put on it any help would be appreciated thank you

Before you format . Is the ME disk an OEM, retail, recovery or fatory (DELL, HP,Gateway...) disk. This will make a big difference. If it is a recovery or factory disk for another computer it may not work on this computer. Example: if the disk is a HP recovery disk and the new PC is a Dell the disk won't work.
If it's OEM or retail you should be OK. You can go to your ME machine and make a startup disk. Go to START>CONTROL PANAL>ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS> CREATE STARTUP DISK. This should allow you to boot and start your install.

Good luck
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 peterd40

peterd40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 08:08 PM

i got a lend of a 98 start up disc and put an old 2.1 disc in that i had, and away it went change back to the original disc nothing... but i did get a message about a fatal exception OE has occured@ 0028:CO280F04 inVXD UMM[06] checked all the connections they seem to be ok ..,..about the limits of my knowledge of comps now

#5 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:58 AM

so it looks like a complete reinstall for you with windows me disc you have.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users