Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Overheating

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 marionyoshi

marionyoshi

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

When I start up my computer, I hear a loud error "Bzzzzt" coming from the speaker inside the computer (which I think is a warning for something overheating) when it gets to/before the login screen, then it promptly shuts off. I opened up my computer and my Video Card is VERY hot. I need some help on how to cool my Video Card down, or how to make it work less. I run a Windows Vista, it's a Gateway. I will check this topic often, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:26 PM

Turn he unit off
open the case
take a flashlight [torch in the UK] & inspect the fan arear of the video card to see if it's dirty or clogged.
If so remove the video card & clean it
With the case open start the unit & watch the video caqrd fan to see if it's spinning properly.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:27 PM

I'm wondering if it could be something as simple as a fan that is going bad, not necessarily on your video card, that is making the noises your referring to?

Have you powered on your computer with the side cover off to physically locate the source of the noise?

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#4 marionyoshi

marionyoshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

Have you powered on your computer with the side cover off to physically locate the source of the noise?

Yes, it's coming from the speaker inside of the computer.

#5 marionyoshi

marionyoshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:36 PM

Turn he unit off
open the case
take a flashlight [torch in the UK] & inspect the fan arear of the video card to see if it's dirty or clogged.
If so remove the video card & clean it
With the case open start the unit & watch the video caqrd fan to see if it's spinning properly.

Fan doesn't look clogged, and I took it out to clean the fan yesterday.

#6 marionyoshi

marionyoshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:55 PM

It may have been set to overclock, does anyone know how to check if this is enabled or not?

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:59 AM

What kind of card is it ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 marionyoshi

marionyoshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:31 AM

What kind of card is it ?

ATI Raedon HD 2400 XT

#9 infinity92

infinity92

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:28 AM

i don't think a video card can overheat even before booting. video cards can only overheat if you run very graphics-demanding games. unless it's overclocked to the limit, it maybe another problem.

#10 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:32 PM

" don't think a video card can overheat even before booting. video cards can only overheat if you run very graphics-demanding games"

That is incorrect.
If the built in voltage controls [regulators] in either the power supply or motherboard fail any component can overheat as soon as the power button is pushed from too much electricity being applied.

I once watched the video card in a computer I was working on ignite [literly had flames] while the computer was booting.
The really odd thing is it didn't have the flames coming from where they would be expected.
The fire/flames came from the AGP slot !
Both the video card & motherboard were ruined .

I determined that the problem with the computer was a bad power supply though. :thumbsup:

#11 marionyoshi

marionyoshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

A professional I called and explained with on the phone said it may be my Power Supply or Video Card. He suggested getting a better Power Supply or getting a Radiator for my Video Card, to help it not heat up as much.

#12 marionyoshi

marionyoshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:05 PM

Bump, this problem still is not solved.

#13 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

Have you tried a different video card ?

#14 marionyoshi

marionyoshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

No, I haven't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users