Computer is slow, I've tried everything
The Topic url was:
Unfortunately, I lost my internet connection right before Farbar was almost done helping me. He ended up closing my Topic. But now I'm back, so I'd like to finish where we left off.
Farbar's last post asked me to do a certain scan, here's what he posted:
Part of slowness could be due to automatic update features or virus scan scheduled to run at startup. I personally set only my antivirus to update manually.
We will do also a disk check for volume errors.
Please do all the steps fully and in the order they are written.
1. I recommend you to go to the Scheduled Tasks applet in Control Panel and delete all the scheduled tasks (right-click the task you want to delete, and select Delete from the displayed context menu. Click Yes to confirm the deletion).
2. Run CCleaner (make sure under Windows tab all the boxes of Internet Explorer and Windows explorer are checked. Under System check Empty Recycle Bin and Temporary Files. Under Application tab all the boxes should be checked). Then click run cleaner.
3. Turn off Windows automatic updates as it might lead to unexpected results at this stage:
* Go to start -> Control Panel -> double-click System to open it.
* Go to the Automatic Updates tab.
* Select the "Turn off Automatic Updates" box.
* Click Apply and then OK.
* Important: Reboot the computer.
4. To check the volume for errors:
* Click start and then My Computer.
* Right click the drive C and select Properties.
* Under Tools tab press Check Now...
* Put a check mark in both items and press start.
* If you get a message click Yes to schedule the disk check and click OK and then restart your computer to start the disk check. Please be patient and let the system run. In some cases it might take a couple of hours and you don't have to sit there the whole time.
After the disk check is finished and the Windows started:
* Go to Start => Run => type or copy/paste eventvwr in the run box and click OK.
* Select Applications section.
* Click on the Source column to sort the items alphabetically.
* Search for the Winlogon entry that corresponds to when you ran the check disk.
* Double-click that entry and you'll find the scan's results there, click the third button on the right, under two arrow keys (this copies the info in the memory to the clipboard).
* Then open a notepad, right-click in it and and select Paste the content of the clipboard to post it or right -click and paste it to your reply.
I did everything he suggested, and here are the scan results he wanted:
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Time: 6:44:55 PM
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 1773 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1773 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1773 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.
58589023 KB total disk space.
55236996 KB in 92550 files.
34980 KB in 8468 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
380271 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
2936776 KB available on disk.
4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
14647255 total allocation units on disk.
734194 allocation units available on disk.
60 27 03 00 a5 8a 01 00 13 65 02 00 00 00 00 00 `'.......e......
dd 06 00 00 02 00 00 00 22 0a 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........".......
bc ae 8c 08 00 00 00 00 7c a0 cf 68 00 00 00 00 ........|..h....
18 64 35 17 00 00 00 00 90 dd 04 c0 09 00 00 00 .d5.............
9e 60 3d 91 00 00 00 00 90 56 9e ed 0a 00 00 00 .`=......V......
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 90 38 07 00 86 69 01 00 ..6......8...i..
00 00 00 00 00 10 66 2b 0d 00 00 00 14 21 00 00 ......f+.....!..
Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at