Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Locking up after reaching desktop for 20 minutes

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Buzzjet

Buzzjet

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:09 PM

I have a dell latitude with 4 gb of ram. The operating system is xp professional with service pack 3. When you start this computer up, it appears to come up fine all the way to the desktop. But then if you try to open any program or application, it just freezes. Now if you just wait for about 20 minutes, everything will open and the computer will run fine. I have norton and windows one carel live. I have used their scans to check for viruses, spyware, etc. Nothing found. I did have a few registry issues but they were minor and have been corrected. Scans now do not reveal anything but the problem still exists.

I also disabled all of the startup programs....no help. I can start it in safe mode and it does the exact same thing! Where do I look now? This issue is driving me mad.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Buzzjet

Buzzjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:10 PM

Oh and I am running IE8

#3 Buzzjet

Buzzjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:15 AM

I was so frustrated that I removed IE8 and reverted back to IE 7. This did not make any difference either. The computer starts up, looks fine, and nothing will open. After about 20 minutes, the wireless icon will pop up at the bottom of the screen and then it will work fine from that point on. Having a new computer that locks up for 20 minutes each time you start it up, will make you crazy!

Microsoft's chat support has not been much help. They asked me to run one of their scans which I did. The scan did not find anything.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

If it's a new system...have you tried Dell support?

Louis

#5 Buzzjet

Buzzjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:44 PM

Well it is about 6 months old. It worked fine up until two weeks ago. I did try dell and they were no help.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

OK...well you can try running the fixmbr command from the Recovery Console of XP.

It may not help, but it won't hurt.

I don't have a Dell, so I don't know...is the XP Recovery Console installed on your system?

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How to access the Recovery Console Scroll down to How To Access The Recovery Console for an idea of screens.

Louis

#7 michaelxvo

michaelxvo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

If your computer acts slow or freezes, It may be CPU overheat. You may have to reseat the FAN because CPU fan for intel 775 is kind of easy to loosen itself. If you are sure it is the fan, you can get a better fan from online.

#8 Buzzjet

Buzzjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

the recovery console is in there. I have tried that and it did not provide any relief.

Also, I do not think the fan is the issue either. The computer can be cold (off all night). When you start it up, it freezes. After about 20 minutes, it unlocks and runs fine. It acts like it is one of the start up programs causing a problem but that isn't it. I have disabled all of them and started up in diagnostic mode and that did not make any difference either.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:42 PM

Just for the record...what commands did you try in the Recovery Console?

It will save various posters from repeating things you have attempted.

Louis

#10 Buzzjet

Buzzjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:53 PM

I am not sure what commands I used in there. I will look it back up and post later.

#11 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:21 PM

I have a dell latitude with 4 gb of ram. The operating system is xp professional with service pack 3. When you start this computer up, it appears to come up fine all the way to the desktop. But then if you try to open any program or application, it just freezes. Now if you just wait for about 20 minutes, everything will open and the computer will run fine. I have norton and windows one carel live. I have used their scans to check for viruses, spyware, etc. Nothing found. I did have a few registry issues but they were minor and have been corrected. Scans now do not reveal anything but the problem still exists.

I also disabled all of the startup programs....no help. I can start it in safe mode and it does the exact same thing! Where do I look now? This issue is driving me mad.

Hi Buzzjet,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

What Norton product and version do you currently have installed? Please let me know. Although you may have a hardware issue, another possibility is a software conflict, as you mention that you have a Norton product and OneCare installed. You should never have more than one real-time security software installed, as it can cause conflicts and leave your system vulnerable to infection. Therefore, I would recommend that you remove Windows OneCare and restart your computer.

You may also have an infection which is causing this problem. If you have not already done so, manually run LiveUpdate in your Norton product and then complete a "Full System Scan" to check for infections.

If you are using a pre-2009 version of a Norton product, and have a valid subscription, you are entitled to a free update to the latest version for the duration of your subscription. As soon as I hear back from you about which Norton product and version you are using, I will provide you with the steps needed to update to the latest version.

Thank you,
Mike

Edited by Michael York, 17 July 2009 - 01:22 PM.

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#12 Buzzjet

Buzzjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:45 PM

Both Norton and Window One Care are both gone now. I uninstalled both. Then ran numerous scans for viruses, malware, spyware. The computer is clean. I am starting to think that I have a hardware issue. Maybe my hard drive is going bad or something. Dell has not been much help. I have been on the phone with them for hours on end. I am running diagnostic tests now on the hard drive and all other components. Hopefully an error will come up somewhere. It is frustrating when you can not find the problem.

Oh and I took this computer to a local PC repair shop. They had it for a week and then called me to come pick it up. They could not find or fix the problem either. EVERY time you start it up, it will make it to the desktop, freeze for 20 minutes, and then work like a champ. Weird I know. Useless to me in this condition.

#13 Buzzjet

Buzzjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

Well, I officially got my first error message! I was running the diagnostic tests in the symptom tree for "Can Not Boot OS". The SATA Disk S/N 081003DP1C80Djgvdtvt Smart Long Self test locked up. It game me an error 0f00:0767

This is the first error that I have gotten. I was a little excited until I realized that I had no idea what it meant.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:59 PM

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19172710.aspx

Worth reading.

Louis

#15 Buzzjet

Buzzjet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:59 AM

Thanks for that link. My problem may be with the hard drive. I am running the same test that failed again to make sure that I get the same results. If I do, then I will contact Dell Support again. At this point, I really don't care what the problem is, I just want to know what is causing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users