Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A watery demise.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cowbandit

Cowbandit

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:53 PM

I think in order for me to sound coherent, I'll start from the beginning. this story sounds almost amazing, but i kid you not, it's true. furthermore, I'd like to apologize for my limited expertise.

I was working on my desktop computer today that i built a while ago, when my little brother comes fooling around. He kept on bugging me to hurry up since he wanted to play counterstrike. Regardless, he was holding a glass of water and while fussing, he bumps into me and some spills onto my computer case.

Unfortunately for me, i have two vents on the top of my computer case which go through directly to my motherboard and cpu. He could have spilled his water anywhere else, but it showers the vent. I see that the computer freezes, so I immediately pull the plug. I wanted to destroy my brother's face at this point. Regardless, my comp was running pretty hot, so I leave it alone since I didn't want any trouble. A little while later, I open the case and attempt to locate puddles. I remove the heatsink, and I spot puddles of water surrounding the cpu. I dab it all up, and I think I'm going to let it dry for a day or so.

So my question really is, what should I do at this point? Did the water ruin the motherboard and cpu? I'm afraid to try to boot up the computer again since there's probably some residual moisture hiding somewhere that might cause problems.

By the way, in case this information helps:

Motherboard: Foxconn A7GM-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813186141

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103272

here's a visual, if you need.
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/560/motherboard.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

If the computer continued running until you shut it off you might get incredibly lucky.
The only way you will know is to unplug the unit & let it dry at least 24 hours & then try it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Cowbandit

Cowbandit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:28 PM

Aight, thanks mate. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

#4 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:53 AM

That is very unlucky. Let us know how you get on!
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#5 Cowbandit

Cowbandit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

Phew. thanks guys. I booted it up today, and it looks like its running okay. :D

I looked for any residual moisture and cleaned off a lot of dust. Now, atleast, it looks like its okay.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

Yours is the only computer I have ever heard of having liquid spilled in it while it's running & still work !!!

What makes it even more amazing is you removed the heatsink & cleaned up the liquid around the CPU !!!!
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:51 AM

Lol. I bet you will never drink near your PC again!

Lol. I bet you will never drink near your PC again!
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users