Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power one HD off?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Snyder

Snyder

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:02 PM

I have two hard drives installed. For cooling purposes, I'd like to power off a second hard drive that I rarely ever use. Is this possible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:43 PM

Sure...just disconnect the connections to the motherboard and system power supply. Removing those from the drive will also remove it from My Computer in XP.

The drive will sit in the case, but won't be useable until you make those two connections again to the drive.

Louis

#3 Snyder

Snyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:40 PM

Sure...just disconnect the connections to the motherboard and system power supply. Removing those from the drive will also remove it from My Computer in XP.

The drive will sit in the case, but won't be useable until you make those two connections again to the drive.

Louis

I'm looking for a way without taking the case off, a third party program or something.

Edited by Snyder, 12 July 2009 - 08:41 PM.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:26 PM

If you have XP or Vista and you do not have a page file setup on the secondary drive, you can use power management and tell it to shutdown your hard drive/drives after a set amount of time.

In other words, your normal boot drive will continue to run and your secondary drive will power down as long as you're not actively using it.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 Snyder

Snyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:37 PM

If you have XP or Vista and you do not have a page file setup on the secondary drive, you can use power management and tell it to shutdown your hard drive/drives after a set amount of time.

In other words, your normal boot drive will continue to run and your secondary drive will power down as long as you're not actively using it.

Hope this helps,

How do I find out if I have a page file on my secondary drive? I am on XP, I want to power off a drive with Vista on it.

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:03 PM

If you have 2 separate drives and your system is a Dual-Boot with both Windows XP and Windows Vista, each has a page file on them for themselves only.

XP should not have put a page file on the Vista drive as well, Vista should not have put a page file on the XP drive.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#7 Snyder

Snyder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:03 AM

If you have 2 separate drives and your system is a Dual-Boot with both Windows XP and Windows Vista, each has a page file on them for themselves only.

XP should not have put a page file on the Vista drive as well, Vista should not have put a page file on the XP drive.

Okay, next question is where can I find this particular power management option?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users