Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CAN NOT EDIT PICTURES!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:34 AM

:thumbsup: Hi, I am having trouble with the picture editor that I have. I am using Win XP with SP 2, and the picture editor has gone on strike! Anytime that I try to edit a picture I get the following error message >>

This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel.

How the heck do I do that? I got brave and went to peek in there and it scared me. I have reset some of the defaults settings but that didn't work.

This is what I have done so far >>

Start> my pictures> tools> folder options> general> Restore Defaults> view> Restore Defaults> apply> OK

I did not do anything under the file types tab because I have no Idea what I might kill if I click anything there.

If anyone can point my finger in the right direction it would sure make me happy.

:flowers: Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:05 AM

Click Start
Click My Computer
Click Tools
Select Folder Options
Click the File Types tab
Scroll down to the file type you want to open with your image editor (BMP, GIF, JPEG, etc....)
Click on it, to highlight it
Click the Change button
Then select your image editor in the list provided
If your editor isn't in the list, click the Browse... button, and navigate to where it's located, and select it
Then put a check in the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file box
Click OK
Click Apply
Click OK
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:24 AM

Hi tg1911, This thing seems to be over my head. This is what I see when I look at "file types"

extensions file types set to open with
1.) JPE JPEG Image Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
2.) JPEG JPEG File PictureViewer Application
3.) JPG JPG File PictureViewer Application
4.) GIF GIF File QuickTime Player Application
5.) No BMP at all

Then when I highlight one of those, and click change I get

Open With:

Recommended Programs for #

1.) Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
2.) Picture Viewer Application
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
3.) Internet Explorer
Microsoft Fax Cover Page Editor
PictureViewer Application
QuickTime Player Application
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
4.) All the same as for # 3

So after looking at that stuff, what do I need to do? I am lost with all of this.

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:49 AM

What program do you use to edit pictures?
What type of image editing do you do?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:03 AM

tg, Wendy has another thread discussing problems with viewing pictures.

PICTURE VIEWER WON'T WORK!, Can not open any pic's in viewer
Posted Image

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 08:22 AM

Thanks, Scarlett.
Didn't know you could view pictures with QuickTime.
I thought it was strictly, a movie viewer.
I don't use it, so I'm not familiar with it's capabilities.

Wendy,
If that's what you use, then this is how you would associate your images with QuickTime:

Click Start
Click My Computer
Click Tools
Select Folder Options
Click the File Types tab
Scroll down to the file type you want to open with your image editor (BMP(Bitmap), GIF, JPEG, etc....)
Click on it, to highlight it
Click the Change button
Then select QuickTime Player Application in the list provided
If QuickTime Player Application isn't in the list, click the Browse... button
Click the QuickTime folder, to highlight it
Click the Open button
Double dlick QuickTime.exe
Then put a check in the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file box
Click OK
When you've done this for all of the file types you want to associate with QuickTime, click Apply
Click OK

If QuickTime isn't your editor, follow the above procedure, substituting your editor for QuickTime.

I hope this is a little easier to understand.
If not, post back with the problem you're having, and we'll see what we can do to help.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:40 PM

I have my association set to Windows Viewer. This association does not interfer with other application's ability to load or manipulate JPEGS.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 04:56 PM

I just use IrfanView.
It handles just about everything I need.

#9 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 07:28 PM

OK guys, I seem to have confused everyone with the way that I asked the question so maybe I should re-state my case.

Here goes = I have win xp home with sp 2 installed. I would go to Start> my pictures> then open whichever album I wanted to open. Some of the pictures have been downloaded from the internet, and some are from my digital camera.

I go along looking at the thumbs until I find one that I want to view, then I would double click on the thumb, and wa-la the pic would open. I really have NO idea what it was opening in. I just know that it would pop open.

Now as for the editing part, Whenever I would be in an album I would just right click on a thumb and then choose "edit" from the drop down menu, and wa-la, it would open in whatever it is that it is supposed to open in for me to edit it.

Something, or someone, has come along and re-set something that has caused my pc not to remember how it is supposed to work.

I do not use Quick Time to view my pics, but it just opens it's self sometimes when I click on a thumb. Then it will tell me that it doesn't do pictures.

I am at a loss as to what might have caused this to happen, so any help will really be appreciated.

Thanks Wendy

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:34 PM

Two people have suggested you review the program that is associated with your picture file types, and have provided instructions. Have you tried this, and does that solve the problem?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:56 PM

Now as for the editing part, Whenever I would be in an album I would just right click on a thumb and then choose "edit" from the drop down menu, and wa-la, it would open in whatever it is that it is supposed to open in for me to edit it.

When I do that it opens in MS Paint.

Sounds like a registry problem with the Shell menu, or the Paint file is missing, or corrupt.
I want you to look for something (don't change anything)

Click Start
Click Run
Type in regedit
Click OK
This will take you into the Registry Editor.
Once there, in the left pane, click the "+" sign next to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
Scroll down to System File Association and click that "+" sign
Scroll down to image and click that "+" sign
Scroll down to shell and click that "+" sign
Scroll down to edit and click that "+" sign
Scroll down to command folder, and click on it, to highlight it

In the right pane, what does it say?
After you write this down, exit out of the Registry Editor, and post back your findings.

Also check in C:\Windows\system32 and make sure mspaint.exe is in there.

#12 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:16 PM

Hi tg1911, :thumbsup: Oh-Oh! Damn ! OK if I did this right = Then something is really wrong here!

There is no such animal as :flowers: "System File Association" thing there to click on. I have "System FieldAccessException", "System FlagsAttribute", and "System FormatException, but no "System FileAssociation".

I just have a bad feeling that that means something bad, so what to do now?

I went and found c:Windowssystem32mspaint it does not have the .exe extension, however, when I clicked on it, it did open mspaint.

What do I do now? Wendy

#13 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:19 PM

Hi jdweed, Yes I tried, but nothing has changed, I am just flat lost here.
Thanks Wendy

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 11:59 AM

Launch Notepad, and copy/paste the contents, of the box below, into a new text file.
Save it as Export.bat and save it on your Desktop.

regedit /e Exp1.txt "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp"
regedit /e Exp2.txt "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jpg"
copy Exp1.txt + Exp2.txt = Output.txt
del /q Exp1.txt
del /q Exp2.txt
notepad Output.txt
del /q Output.txt

Locate Export.bat on your Desktop and double-click on it.
This will open Notepad with some text in it.
Post that.

#15 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:47 PM

OK, I did it, and here are the results >>

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp]
"PerceivedType"="image"
"Content Type"="image/x-bmp"
"QuickTime.bak"="Paint.Picture"
@="QuickTime.bmp"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\OpenWithList\MSPaint.exe]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\OpenWithProgids]
"Paint.Picture"=hex(0):

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmp\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

Does all of that tell you what I broke?

Thanks Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users