Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC restarts, BSODs, Freezes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cwatson

cwatson

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:30 PM

My computer occasionally restarts itself or shuts down. Sometimes it will do a complete restart and I only know it because the Active Desktop Recovery screen is on my desktop suddenly. Sometimes it will freeze and the monitor will go black and flash an error message intermittently ("No input signal" message) after which I can no longer manually restart or shut down the computer, but instead have to turn it off and back on using the main power switch at the back of the tower. Sometimes it will restart but stop at the first black screen to alert me with the statement "S.M.A.R.T. status bad backup and replace error..." and asking me to press F1 to continue (I have an extra HD but moved files off it some time ago). The computer will restart/shutdown/freeze as little as once per day or as often as every 10 minutes if I am doing something like playing in foobar2000 or have photoshop open, anything I happen to enjoy, it seems :thumbsup: . I cannot pinpoint these programs as culprits, only that I've noticed that the pc will absolutely do something when foobar2000 is running, for example. It shuts down at seemingly random times too.

Windows XP Pro Version 2002 SP 2, Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.60 GHz 992 MB of RAM, Avast antivirus.

Nothing in device manager looks funny.

Recent errors upon BSOD (I can't seem to make the BSOD show each time a restart happens, but I did a couple of times):
0x0000001a (0x00000777, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x004fffff)
0x0000008e (0xc0000005, 0x80566fb4, 0xf7b5d82c, 0x00000000)

Event viewer error MOST seen:
Event ID: 7024
Description: The Routing and Remote Access service terminated with service-specific error 711 (0x2C7).

Event viewer error recently seen (2 days ago):
Event ID: 1003
Description: Error code 1000000a, parameter1 20000008, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 804f6104.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

S.M.A.R.T. status bad backup and replace error

Generally this means that your hard-drive is failing and will need to be replaced.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 cwatson

cwatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:12 PM

Generally this means that your hard-drive is failing and will need to be replaced.

Do you think that removing that HD will help with the errors I'm receiving? If so, I can remove it, but are there any steps I should take before/after pulling it out?

Thank you very much

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:20 PM

It would be a good idea to remove the secondary drive and see if it help.

Also, this type of rebooting behaviour is often caused by your computer overheating. You can check your system temperatures with SpeedFan, which should give you an indication of whether your system is running too hot.

I would recommend that you open your computer case and make sure all the fans are spinning okay and that there isn't an excessive amount of dust in there that would impede air flow. See the following Bleeping Computer tutorial for guidance on cleaning inside your computer.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 cwatson

cwatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:03 PM

I opened the case to find a lot of dirt and a very hot secondary drive, nearly too hot to touch. I did a thorough cleaning and removed the HD. Below are the results from SpeedFan both before and after this process:

SpeedFan Results:

Primary HD:
The average temperature for this hard disk is 33C (MIN=20C MAX=47C) and yours is 52C.
The overall fitness for this drive is 90%.
The overall performance for this drive is 90%.

Primary HD After cleaning:
The average temperature for this hard disk is 33C (MIN=20C MAX=47C) and yours is 46C.

Secondary HD:
Posted Image

Secondary HD:
Warning: Power On Hours Count is below the average limits (44-97).
Warning: Current Pending Sector is below the average limits (192-200).
The overall fitness for this drive is 28%.
The overall performance for this drive is 100%.

I hope this will solve some of the issues I've been having. Thanks for the help with this.

#6 cwatson

cwatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:58 AM

My pc froze again (had to use the power switch to get it going again) and the event viewer showed the error:

Description: The Routing and Remote Access service terminated with service-specific error 711 (0x2C7).

I'm hoping for any additional ideas to try. Thank you.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:18 PM

Do you know what brand of hard drive you currently have in your computer?

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 cwatson

cwatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:14 PM

Do you know what brand of hard drive you currently have in your computer?

Yes, it's a Maxtor.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:19 PM

Try running a diagnostic test on the drive using SeaTools.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 cwatson

cwatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:11 AM

I ran Seatools in between multiple restarts and freezes. The HD passed all the tests.

SMART
Short DST
Short Generic
Long DST
Long Generic

The only test I didn't run was the advanced. I didn't go past the warning message.

Thank you

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:08 PM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the freezes.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all the categories.

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 cwatson

cwatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:07 PM

Hi,

Event viewer has the repeated error as in earlier posts, event ID 7024. I've posted more complete information below. You will probably know better than me what it means! :thumbsup:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Description:
The Routing and Remote Access service terminated with service-specific error 711 (0x2C7).

Thank you

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:10 PM

You might want to try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330163

Also, you could try testing your RAM with memtest86+.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 cwatson

cwatson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

You might want to try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330163

I followed the instructions and changed the settings as recommended. It hasn't done the trick just yet. I am still experiencing the same issues unfortunately.

Also, you could try testing your RAM with memtest86+.

I read the memory test info on the memtest sites and forum and finally was able to run the test. I have run one full pass so far and it found no errors. I will run it again and allow it to pass several times before rebooting for a more thorough test. I'll return to post my findings afterwards.

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users