Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell driver cd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rickboo

rickboo

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:29 PM

Does anyone know if the Dell driver cd that you get when you purchase a new dell desktop has all the required drivers on it including the internet driver? i'm just wondering because it seems i am going to have to do a xp reinstall and i have never done one before. i just want to make sure that all the drivers are on the cd first. kinda seems dumb that they wouldnt be but stranger things have happened. i dont have the restore to factory settings option any longer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,278 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:46 PM

What does your manual say?

If they aren't on the CD...then XP has them in its drivers cache.

Failing that, you can download applicable drivers for your specific system...from the Dell website. I suggest you visit that site anyway, for the sake of familiarization.

Louis

#3 rickboo

rickboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

Hi hamluis and thanks for replying. there is a file in my c: drive marked dell and i believe it is a copy of all my drivers. once i install the drivers is it ok to go into the device manager and click on each driver and use the update driver button to install the lastest drivers if there are any? also if i download the drivers from dell's website do they just get saved where i want them in the computer, or do they get installed right away? sorry for the dumb question but i guess the dumb ones are easiest to answer

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,278 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

You wanted the drivers...correction, you said you wanted the drivers...to do a reinstall.

You now have them, you can burn them to CD, put them on a flash drive...whatever.

As for updating drivers...I take the approach with drivers that I take with updating the BIOS...it doesn't happen on my systems until I see evidence that something good will result from such.

If all my functions are working properly...I don't update drivers. I see nothing to be gained and (potentially) something that could be lost.

Louis

#5 rickboo

rickboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:02 PM

ok thanks, i will install and leave well enough alone. i have no problems now with drivers so if i end up the same way after the reinstall i will be happy. thanks

#6 rickboo

rickboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:14 AM

The Dell Drivers CD does have all the drivers you need on it. Did the reformat and reinstall of xp and the drivers with no problems whatsoever.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,278 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:11 AM

Feedback appreciated, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users