Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temporary Internet Files Issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jaywoo

jaywoo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:20 AM

I'm having problems with the Temp Internet files. When I'm in Windows explorer and in C:documents and settings/Jay/local settings/temporary internet files/ it shows very few files, yet when I check the properties of this file it shows 42,730 files, 2.36GB of files with 37 folders! I already checked the "folder view" option under tools to make sure it was set to show hidden files.

I would very much like to know how to view and delete what is in these folders. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:46 AM

Is it your Temp Internet files showing 2.36GB, or is it your Temp files?
To view your Temp files click Start
Click Run
Type in %temp%
Hit Enter
You can delete all of these files, in your Temp folder.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:01 AM

Make sure you defragment your drive after deleting the unwanted files/cleanup.
Since the files sizes we store and delete from the system are large, the HD may get fragmented and lead to system instability.

Edited by turnip, 09 July 2005 - 02:02 AM.

#4 jaywoo

jaywoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:22 AM

It's the temporary internet files. I copied the directory over to my other hard drive (F Drive) and sure enough, there is a ton of files in there. I still can't delete or view any of those files on my C drive, though.

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:46 AM

Have you tried to delete them in Safe Mode?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 jaywoo

jaywoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:01 AM

Yeah, that worked also. Went into safe mode, and behold, there were the files. I deleted everything. Now back in normal mode, the folder is empty (supposedly) in windows explorer, but if I right click it and click poroperties, it still shows up as having 5 folders. Weird.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:32 AM

The folders remain or are re-created when you launch IE. As long as they are empty, you are fine.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 jaywoo

jaywoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:08 PM

Yeah, the heck of it is, the only way I can empty them is in safe mode, or so it would seem anyway.

#9 easy60man

easy60man

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 01:19 AM

Why not download a copy of Ccleaner and delete everything it finds. It's safe to use,and does'nt delete any system files.

I've used this for 6 months, and deleted everything it found, PC runs better and never had a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users