Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Conectivity Help PPPOE

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 wonka1234

wonka1234

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:18 PM

Hi guys, Sorry if this is a newb question but has been bothering me for months.

I use Aol Broadband as my isp, but I dont use the acutal interface,I have a pppoe connection on this laptop and my pc. its a dsl connection through ethernet cable.

I can go on the internet on the laptop like I am right now, and go on msn,and do all that stuff using the same way im trying to on my pc. But the pc Internet explorer just wont work.

The problem is with my pc only, the "dial-up connection' box comes on and I connect and everything is fine when I connect, I can log onto Msn fine, which means my internet must be working fine right? But then I click internet explorer and it doesnt load, it says "internet explorer cannot display page'. I dont understand, it worked for years, and maybe someone messed around with the settings? I try to connect to programs like pokerstars and it wont work. But Msn logs on fine, and every now and then I can download music.

Can someone help me please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wonka1234

wonka1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

someone help me pleaseee, Could it be my network card or something? When I open my device managerunder network adapters theres a bunch of things with the yellow "!" on them, but one of them is fine.

#3 wonka1234

wonka1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:22 AM

pleaseee helpppppppppppppp

#4 wonka1234

wonka1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:48 PM

I dont know what the problem is, i try little things like disabling the network card and playing around with the properties of connections.
There is a broadband connection I connet too, but also a 'local area connection' is always connected. But It says limmited actinity besides the loca area connection and I think the problem is with that.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:44 PM

Do you have a router? You mentioned AOL DSL, do you just switch the Ethernet cable back and forth between them?

What changed on the PC when it stopped working? And please don't say nothing cause computers don't work one day and stop the next without some human interaction. Installed some software? Windows update? a Updated a driver? Anything, even if you do not think it could have anything to do with it.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 wonka1234

wonka1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:06 AM

Do you have a router? You mentioned AOL DSL, do you just switch the Ethernet cable back and forth between them?

What changed on the PC when it stopped working? And please don't say nothing cause computers don't work one day and stop the next without some human interaction. Installed some software? Windows update? a Updated a driver? Anything, even if you do not think it could have anything to do with it.

No router.

well it was a few months ago it stopped working, I cant remember, but their was a system restore I think that might have tampered with it, ive tried restoring it.
I know their was alot of windows updates I did. anti virus software wont work on it the comp. I didnt update any drivers. I didnt install anything.

#7 wonka1234

wonka1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

Cavedweller, Help meee! i want this to workkk

#8 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:31 PM

Your set up is very confusing. Can you please clairfiy how your connection it set up?

Do you have a USB modem you use to connect to the internet? do you plug it in via USB and dial?

Or

A Router?

EDIT:

If you are having problems with IE reset the settings - go to tools, internet options, advanced and reset.

Make sure IE is set to connect properly - go to tools, internet options, connections. Report what you see there. A screen shot would help ;)

Edited by andrewww, 24 July 2009 - 12:33 PM.

Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#9 wonka1234

wonka1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:50 PM

Your set up is very confusing. Can you please clairfiy how your connection it set up?

Do you have a USB modem you use to connect to the internet? do you plug it in via USB and dial?

Or

A Router?

EDIT:

If you are having problems with IE reset the settings - go to tools, internet options, advanced and reset.

Make sure IE is set to connect properly - go to tools, internet options, connections. Report what you see there. A screen shot would help ;)

I got a usb port on my modem but I also got an ethernet one and use that, Maybe I should try connecting via usb?

No Router.

I tried reseeting the settings already in IE.

I will do screen shots and post them in abit.

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:03 AM

When you connect but can't surf try this:

Ping Google
  • Click Start
  • Click Run
  • Type CMD
  • Hit Enter or click OK
  • in the black box type ping www.google.com
  • Hit Enter
You should see:
Pinging www.l.google.com [74.125.159.104] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 74.125.159.104: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=50
Reply from 74.125.159.104: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=50
Reply from 74.125.159.104: bytes=32 time=43ms TTL=50
Reply from 74.125.159.104: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=50

Ping statistics for 74.125.159.104:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 30ms, Maximum = 43ms, Average = 34ms

The IP address could be different but the rest should look similar. If you get an error try pinging the IP address that is listed here. If that also errors also let us know. If you don't get an error let us know.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#11 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:58 AM

Or

A Router?

EDIT:

I got a usb port on my modem but I also got an ethernet one and use that, Maybe I should try connecting via usb?

No Router.

I tried reseeting the settings already in IE.

I will do screen shots and post them in abit.

USB and Ethernet doesn't make a difference. As stated above try pinging.
Posted Image

#12 wonka1234

wonka1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

Ping Google

• Click Start
  • Click Run
  • Type CMD
  • Hit Enter or click OK
  • Hit Enter
You should see:

The IP address could be different but the rest should look similar. If you get an error try pinging the IP address that is listed here. If that also errors also let us know. If you don't get an error let us know.

Alright ill give it a try. What exactly is pinging? Ill let you guys know what happens

EDIT: I did the pinging google. And there was no error, it looked similar to yours except the ip address was different.

Edited by wonka1234, 26 July 2009 - 11:02 AM.

#13 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:29 AM

Ping Google

• Click Start
  • Click Run
  • Type CMD
  • Hit Enter or click OK
  • Hit Enter
You should see:

Alright ill give it a try. What exactly is pinging? Ill let you guys know what happens

EDIT: I did the pinging google. And there was no error, it looked similar to yours except the ip address was different.

Pinging tests if you can connect to the internet, and tests basic network functionality. Do you have a firewall? Are you willing to try connect on-line with a different browser.
Posted Image

#14 wonka1234

wonka1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

Ping Google

• Click Start
  • Click Run
  • Type CMD
  • Hit Enter or click OK
  • Hit Enter
You should see:

Pinging tests if you can connect to the internet, and tests basic network functionality. Do you have a firewall? Are you willing to try connect on-line with a different browser.

Yes I am willing too try a different browser, I believe I tried firefox before and it didnt work.. I have windows firewall, ive tried taking it off and connecting , but ill try it again to see. It could be the firewall.

I notice that the 'local area connection' the ipv4 nd ipv6 connectivity is 'limited' I dont know if that has anyhting to do with it. Also as a note the ip addrress setting is automatic, which has always been that way, just some info incase it would help :thumbsup:

#15 zesler

zesler

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

Yes I am willing too try a different browser, I believe I tried firefox before and it didnt work.. I have windows firewall, ive tried taking it off and connecting , but ill try it again to see. It could be the firewall.

I notice that the 'local area connection' the ipv4 nd ipv6 connectivity is 'limited' I dont know if that has anyhting to do with it. Also as a note the ip addrress setting is automatic, which has always been that way, just some info incase it would help :thumbsup:

You should disable IPv6(I'm assuming your using Vista).

If ping works then that means you might have application issues, incorrect settings somewhere.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users