Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Slow Performance/Overheating!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

I am currently working on trying to improve the performance of a Compaq Laptop. It is running Windows Vista, 1GB RAM, 100GB Hard Drive, Dual Core processor (1.6 GHZ), 128MB Video card. It is running really slowly and seems to be overheating underneath. This is what I have done so far. I have ordered 1 more GB of RAM to take the total up to 2GB. I cleaned out the fan with compressed air and it seems to be running alot cooler. I installed a program called speedfan, which monitor's the Laptop's Temp. The HDO = 40 deg, Temp = 55 deg, Core 0 = 49 deg, Core 1 = 52 deg. I'm not sure exactly which one of these readings is important or what the temp average should be, but Laptop feels alot better than before I cleaned the fan out. I ran disk clean-up, defrag, sfc /scannow, perform some tweaks, removed some programs. The computer has tons of games on it and takes up 70GB of 100GB hard Drive. I did perform some Virus scans and Spyware Dr came up with some Spyware and malware that it removed. It is running much better than before I performed the tasks above. I put the Power Option to high performance. Is there anything I may have missed or can try and maximize how is runs. Thanks for any suggestions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:15 PM

Hi, you will notice better performance once you install the extra 1 gig of memory.
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users