Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable/remove iYogi pre-OS startup?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 flicksterr

flicksterr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:01 PM

Summary:

A program called iYogi (telephone-based support software) was installed by the owners of a Dell E520. It loads for about 45 seconds BEFORE Windows XP even starts loading. I want to disable it from starting before Windows XP. Since it starts before Windows, it does not appear under msconfig or services.msc - ideas?

-

First off, this is a great forum - so far it's been a lot of help!

I recently picked up a friends computer to do some work on since they were complaining about it running slow.

They weren't kidding. The computer took over 5 minutes (that's a conservative estimate) to boot up.

I've cut that time down by half - where the average boot time is about 2 minutes 30 seconds, this is however, still slow IMO.

Computer specs:
Dell Dimension E520
Windows XP SP3
Intel P 4 3.06 ghz w/ HT
1gb of RAM
230gb HD w/ 110 gb free

It was being bogged down by an ENORMOUS amount of programs on startup - McAfee, Dell Support Center (which was always doing system snapshots), useless self-updating programs (google, kodak, and the like) and countless other programs. Their hard disk was in terrible shape - I've since run chkdisk and defragged the drive. Spybot S&D found over 16 spyware apps w/ multiple instances, which I promptly removed. I've run Microsoft's bootvis and "optimized" the boot sequence (although it didn't seem to have any effect).

The final thing that I'd like to do to this computer is remove/disable this incredibly annoying iYogi PC Recovery application that runs BEFORE Windows XP even starts loading. This PC recovery program takes approximately 45 seconds where it just idles (with a moving progress bar) with the message "Press spacebar to enter PC Recovery". I'd like to turn that utility off and have XP load immediately. I've checked services and msconfig for this application but it's not there (though I'm not surprised since it loads before windows). Therefore I'm thinking it's in the BIOS but have no idea how to disable it. I've gone into the BIOS setting and didn't see anything about iYogi.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:47 PM

The general way that some of us...rid ourselves of programs which may have been installed by a boxmaker/manufacturer on a system...is to just do a clean install of XP, using a Microsoft XP install CD...rather than any CDs or partitions provided by the manufacturer.

Beyond that, I can't suggest anything :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

Hi, I could not find any help on how to remove this software from the PC is reimaging the PC an option? The only other thing would be to conatct them as your friend must os igned up with them and as how to remove this. http://iyogi.net/
MCP
MSDST

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:54 PM

The general way that some of us...rid ourselves of programs which may have been installed by a boxmaker/manufacturer on a system...is to just do a clean install of XP, using a Microsoft XP install CD...rather than any CDs or partitions provided by the manufacturer.

Beyond that, I can't suggest anything :thumbsup:.

Louis

Hi Louis, as this looks like a third party program by reimaging it should remove the program but yes by formatting the drive is a better option.
MCP
MSDST

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:29 PM

Not that I doubt your observation, but how do you know it is running? Can you "see" it running somehow?

Have you looked also in Add or Remove Programs?

How about Start, Programs, Start Up folder?

It could be lurking in the registry as a start up item (please don't use any Registry tools to look/fix).

Can you spot anything interesting in Task Manager - like a process (.exe) name you can terminate and then track down by the file name?

Is there a visible or perhaps hidden folder in Program Files to temporarily rename (not delete), reboot and see how the complaining goes?

Maybe it is masquerading itself in MSCONFIG, Task Manager, or Add or Remove Programs.

Reformatting is for sure of course, but it is most curious.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:36 PM

Sorry...I read "owners" and thought "manufacturers"...it happens too frequently these days :thumbsup:. My apologies.

If truly a 3d-party program...simply removing it via Add/Remove Programs should be a start...followed by manually editing the registry to remove any/all planted/stored entries that Add/Remove did not handle.

I don't know how else any remote-connection software could work.

FWIW: This item should be reflected in your startup items somewhere, since you say that it loads initially...you'll need to remove that pointer also.

AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx Normal startup items are on the Logon tab.

Louis

#7 junny2go

junny2go

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

Hello, I had similar problem two months ago. After acquiring a friend's computer, I noticed the same software on my taskbar but could neither uninstall it myself nor find any help on how to remove this software from my PC until I stumbled upon a tech service (Removed) and chatted with their support rep who then took remote control of my desktop and removed the embedded software. That made me to wonder really if a 'legit' software should be that difficult to uninstall?

Edited by rigel, 09 August 2011 - 07:13 PM.
Removed commercial link ~ rigel

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:22 PM

For more interesting reading about Iyogi...try looking on the RipoffReport/iyogi.com (not a direct link) website.

It seems Iyogi not only is bilking consumers in Dell-related matters, but also users of Avast! and some others as well. The one common denominator is the fee charged.
It is nearly always $299 or $300, and Iyogi is notorius for double-charging a customer.

Thanks to PeteC for the info-

EDIT - PeteC is still having problems

Edited by noknojon, 09 August 2011 - 10:30 PM.

#9 sundavis

sundavis

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,708 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:56 PM

The normal way to uninstall iYogi as instructed in this thread .

But the normal way will always fail as expected. It is protected by drivers as the malware did. Try the following free program:

• Please download AppRemover and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on AppRemover.exe to run it.
  • Uncheck "Enable anonymous usage statistics. No personal data will be recorded."
  • Click on the Next button.
  • Click on "Remove Security Application" or "Clean Up a Failed Uninstall" depending on what you want to do. (you want the failed uninstall)
  • Click on the Next button.
  • A scan begins, please wait. Once done, click on the Next button.
  • Now you should have a list of your installed programs, choose the one you want to remove and click on the Next button.
  • Follow the last step and reboot if asked to do so
  • If run into problems, Please navigate to the following filepath to remove iYogi SupportDock 3.0 first. It might locate in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\iYogi SupportDock 3.0

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users