Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP or 98

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 parko

parko

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:28 PM

Hi
i am currently running my computer on windows 98 and it seems to all be working perfectlly. I have had recent thoughts of upgrading to XP but im not sure if it would be better or worse for my computer. What are evryone else's thoughts on this matter

Pentium III 760 Mhz
128 MB RAM
Windows 98 SE
Geforce 4 MX-440

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:21 AM

hmm ..
maybe this website for suitable for u..
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_upgrade_paths.htm
hope it helps..

#3 parko

parko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:59 AM

hmmmmmmm
it only really tells me that my pc is eligable
Im still unsure of weather its worth upgrading
thanks

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:53 AM

If your computer is working to your satisfaction, and you can do what you need with 98, then don't upgrade. If you do elect to upgrade, be prepared to add extra RAM, since with 128MB, WindowsXP will barely run.
As cheap as computers are nowadays, you could almost buy a new tower WITH XP and adequate ram for the price of more RAM and the cost of XP, and you would have a much faster machine.
Just my opinion.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:17 AM

I think you may find Windows 2000 a better choice. I was tired of fighting with 98*Grinler on the kid's computers (10-Dell GX1). I upgrade to W2K and everything is peachy. You can buy W2K on ebay fairly cheap + 128mg ram for less than XP home. It still looks and feels like 98 so the learning curve is low, but with most of the Opinions of XP Sp1, IMHO.
I am not an expert. I am just sharing what worked for me.

FYI, all our computers are Dell GX1 P-III 500, w/ 128mg RAM running W2K sp4. I have upgraded them after the move to W2K with 512 meg RAM, PowerLeap 1.3 Celeron, nvida MX-400/64mg.

I hope this is of some use. Good luck.

Edited by acklan, 09 July 2005 - 09:20 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 parko

parko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:14 AM

thanks for all your help, your opinions are handful
If i am going to buy a new PC then i think i would lash out and buy one that can run all the multimedia technology i would like to use!
And when you put all your parts together in Australia it doesnt look so cheap!
sorry if this a a bit off track from my first question, but if you wanted to do video editing, and all that jazz, what would be the best buy
im talking like a P4 3.0 Ghz
256 mb Video graphics
80 G hard drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users