Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ziggystardust

ziggystardust

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:37 PM

About a week ago I couldn't access the internet, log on to Yahoo or MSN Messenger and Napster or connect to Limewire, despite the fact that I'm connected to LAN. I'm using Windows XP on a Dell computer(not sure what kind though). When I run "Diagnose Connection Problems" on IE8 it says it's a Winsock problem and asks if I want to reset it. I say yes, and the problem still remains, saying its still a Winsock problem. It also says it can't access HTTP, HTTPS or FTP. I've run Micro PC-Cillin and found a virus, cleaned it, and that didn't fix the problem.

Does anybody know what's going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ziggystardust

ziggystardust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:43 PM

Here's basically what it says the problem is:

WinSock Diagnostic
WinSock status

info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
error Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] could not perform simple loopback communication. Error -1.
info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication test.
info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback communication test.
error Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider could not perform simple loopback communication. Error -1.
error A connectivity problem exists with an installed LSP.

warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to www.passport.net: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The server name or address could not be resolved
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
error Could not make an FTP connection.

I haven't installed any new firewalls, and I've turned off the one I have and it didn't fix the problem

#3 Ravahan

Ravahan

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:22 PM

Here's a couple of quick things you can try which may do something for you. Open the command prompt by going to Start > Run and in the box typing cmd and hitting OK. A black box will come up. In this box type the following, hitting enter after each line.

ipconfig /flushdns

netsh interface ip reset

netsh winsock reset

The last one will require a restart. If you're still offline when you boot up, please run the following test and copy/paste the results here. These are basic tests which may help reveal the nature of the connectivity problem, and should take only a minute to perform. To copy/paste out of the command prompt, right click anywhere in the window, choose Mark, then left click and drag over the area you want to copy and hit enter. The text highlighted should now be in your clipboard.

netsh diag show test

ipconfig /all

ping bleepingcomputer.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users