Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

replacing mother board ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rocknrollmatt

rocknrollmatt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:34 PM

if i replace my motherboard, does it screw with my hard drives??

will i have to defrag and all that stuff??

or can i just replace motherboard, and everything will be good??

thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:46 PM

Dear Rock,

In my many times I have upgraded to a new motherboard it has been a lot easier to format the drives and start new.

What I do is burn all of the programs, saved games, files that I want to disc's so I may reload them to the new computer.

The reason I do this is because it is nice to get rid of all of those programs and files that I don't want. In a sense a fresh start.

I used to know how to just upgrade the mother board but with all the spyware, hidden/duplicate files, and junk I gave it up for the fresh start.

Hope that helps,

junkdk :thumbsup:

P.S. Also now that you have your files on a disc, it will that much easier to re-load your files in case something happens.
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 rocknrollmatt

rocknrollmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:50 PM

thanks junk-

isnt there a function where i can save everything to disk... i mean EVERYTHING...

this is a brand new system. only stuff on hard drives is what i want. only reason i am buying new mother board is due to some sound recording hardware that is incompatible with my chipset.

is it kosher to swear like a sailor on this message board??? ha.

thanks again.

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:13 AM

Dear Rock,

Sure there is but it depends on how much you have on your drives. I would not copy your OS though.

There are several programs that will back up your entire drive for reloading. Some are free but again it depends on size.

And once you do copy all of your hard drive to disc, I recommend that you load each program accordingly.

From all those I have talked to about mass transfer, nothing but bad has come from it.

Go slow and you should have no problems.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users