Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad PBR

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

Hello Family !
I have a Dell Dimension E310, with an 80GB Samsung hard drive in it. It had/has Windows Media Center on it.
The hard drive went bad and gave me the error that said.... Loading PBR for descriptor 2.....Done Bad PBR.
I replaced the hard drive with an identicle one and put a fresh install of Media Center on it.
I hooked up the bad hard drive in tandum to see if I could get my pictures off of it but the pc won't even recognize that it exsist.
How could I get mt pic's of the bad hard drive or is it a complete loss ?
I have a bootable disc of ERD Comander 2005, and that has always gotton into bad hard drives so I could retrieve personal files but this BAD PBR hard drive won't let it in.
Any suggestions ?
Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated !
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:25 PM

"I hooked up the bad hard drive in tandum to see if I could get my pictures off of it but the pc won't even recognize that it exsist. "

If it is a IDE drive [connects to a wide "ribbon" cable] it has a jumper on the back of the drive where the connectors are.
There should be a little chart on the drive label showing the jumper settings.
Move the jumper to either Cable Select or Slave & then try it.
If the drive still doesn't show in My Computer you are pretty much out of luck. :thumbsup:
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

My bad......I should have said that it is SATA
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:15 PM

If it shows the error & the HD won't show in My computer it's more then likely totally dead.

There is 1 long shot if there is stuff on the HD you absolutly have to have.

If you could get a working drive of the EXACT same brand/model you MIGHT change the PCB board on the bottom of the HD & get it to work.

As I said, that is a real long shot !

[I wouldn't ruin a working drive to try it.
I'd watch ebay for a cheap one that is "as is' .
Those usually have bad secotros ]

Edited by fairjoeblue, 12 July 2009 - 01:23 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

Just to confirm...since you have onboard RAID...your BIOS is not set to view the drives as a RAID, correct?

Are both drives properly reflected in the BIOS?

How about in Device Manager?

Louis

#6 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:23 PM

BIOS, nor device manager, recognize the drive....like it's not there. The RAID is off. I will look for another "broken" hard drive and try to swap out the "board". If Ebay doesn't have any, it may take a while so hang in there with mew please. Thank you both for working with me !!!

#7 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:33 PM

I looked up "Bad PBR" and it's tracking back to "Bad Primary Boot Record". The fix listed here, seems to have a way for you to fix your problem with your Dell Computer.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#8 gareth_f

gareth_f

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:33 AM

Tech, he cant do a fixboot if the bios doesnt even recognize the drive...

#9 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:45 AM

I'm waiting on Dell to send me the Installation disc and to see if that might do something.

#10 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:36 PM

Well, nothin worked. The Installation disc that I ordered didn't help either. I went ahead and replaced the broken hard drive with another one of the same make and model.
Thank you all for working with me and helping me !!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users