Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS re-install on dell laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Iceman456

Iceman456

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

i have a dell inspiron model 2650. it takes a ridiculously long time to load, then tends to freeze whenever it wants. it's an old laptop, but i would like to get it in working condition again. it used to run fine and with an upgrade in RAM, would be acceptable as an extra pc. i want to re-install windows xp and start from scratch. ( i don't believe in registry repair software which i had suggested to me). also system restore was no help. i went into set-up to change the start-up and have the cd-rom go 1st, but when i put the original OS disk (i've tried the re_install disk that came with it, and the driver disk) in the drive, it either spins and does nothing, or it reads the disk, then just freezes, or crashes. i thought about using an external cd-rom(dvd) drive, but the laptop doesn't recognize the USB drives now either. any ideas on how to re-install things on it?

thanks

Pentium 4 1.7/1.2 GHz
128 RAM (512 MB RAM max. will upgrade RAM if rest works)
Windows XP home edition service pk2
BIOS version A05
Toshiba DVD_ROM SD_c2612_(S

pt2 i also tried going to dells website to download their diagnostics software. when i did it said i needed windows.net when i download that, it cannot complete installing it. so no luck on diagnostics, any and all help appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:34 AM

My first recommendation would be to upgrade your BIOS to Version A13. This may allow you to boot from USB once completed.

You stated that the DVD drive spins up then freezes.... Have you cleaned the DVD drive lens with a burst of air? Have you cleaned the Dell Windows XP disk?

I would try these and let us know how you make out.

Hope ths helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:59 AM

What are the manufacturer's instructions/steps...for reinstalling the system?

The disks that were originally provided with the system...should not require a BIOS update to work effectively.

Do you have license ID/key written down?

Louis

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:11 PM

Hmmm...a few opinions about ComboFix from those who deal with malware routinely, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1159014

Louis

#5 Iceman456

Iceman456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:30 AM

i've tried everything. also got a hold of dell and tried all they had to offer to the letter. it's worked great for 6 years now, i guess it's just time to move on. there are some great deals out there. i just was hopin to do a re-install and upgrade RAM since it is so inexpensive now. looks like recycle time, and on to new and improved. thanks for all your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users