Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive Issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thcbytes

thcbytes

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:33 AM

Hi Elly,
That hard drive might not be salvageable. I have moved your PM here and created a topic for you. The reason is that I am far from a hardware expert and we can benefit from the input from our members!

Hi t,

I came across your advise on installing puppy linux (after 2 days of having nightmares) to recover files from my now dead hard disk.
And would appreciate further details on recovering my files.( please..! please...!)

I've already bought a new samsung 160G hard disk as primary . And when I load with my old hard disk, it won't load anything except

3rd master hard disk SMART Status Bad

do you think I have a fair chance at saving my files...??? and could you give me a detailed step so I don't do anything wrong...?

What I understand so far is..

1. Download Puppy Linux
2. Burn ISO CD Disc.. (dvd disc would be ok right?)
3. Load the disc to computer and get into BIOS to boot from CD
4. Reboot PC
5. Puppy Linux will launch ( and I follow the instructions?)
6. The OS will appear & I have to mount the drive on the left hand side below to HOPEFULLY access it.
7. Then still HOPEFULLY transfer them precious files to my new hard disk
8. Then swear to deligently backup my files from this day onwards...

Looking foward, eagerly (no pressure at all), though patiently .. to your reply...

ELLY

Booting with Linux to retrieve data from your hard drive is worth a shot though. I will let the experts weigh in to see what is actually wrong with the HDD in the first place.

Here is another option...

Try using Knoppix, a bootable disk. From it, we might be able to access your harddrive.

From a working computer download and install IMGBurn.

Download Knoppix 5.1.1 to your desktop.

Open IMGBurn via the newly created icon on your desktop, or by pointing to Start->All Programs->ImgBurn->ImgBurn
Push the large "Write image file to disk" button.
Right under "Source" and next to "Please select a file" push the Posted Image button.
Browse to and select the Knoppix image file on your desktop.

Place a blank CD-R into your clean system's CD Burner, and press the large button that looks like a page going into a CD in the bottom left of IMGBurn.

Now place this CD into your computer. Configure the system to boot from CD. You can usually do this by pressing F10, F11, or F12 (try all of them if unsure) to bring up configuration options, and select CDRom as your boot device. Some machines will automatically attempt boot from the CD if one is inserted.

When you see this screen,
Posted Image
Press enter, and wait for Knoppix to boot.
On Knoppix' desktop, you should see an icon for your hard disk (Looks like Posted Image.)

Right click the drive if it appears and is accessible , and select "Change Read\Write Mode". Press "Yes" at the prompt.

When your done press the large K button in the lower left corner of the screen, and select Log Out...
Then press "Turn off computer".

Now remove the knoppix disk from your CD drive when asked, and turn your system back on.

Hope that helps,
t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 emza22

emza22

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:12 PM

Hi t,

I have been so engrossed and ecstatic that ALL MY DATA HAS BEEN SAVED, I forgot to reply to you sooner.
Thank you so much for your input. I tried the wonderful Puppy Linux the first time and managed to retrieve all my data. :thumbsup:
I am ever so grateful. :flowers:

Hopefully others experiencing the same problem I had will benefit from this.

emza

#3 thcbytes

thcbytes
  • Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 14,790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:58 PM

Your welcome. :thumbsup:
A nice freeware utility for making an actual image (clone) of your entire hard drive is DriveImage XML. I used it to make a monthly backup of all my computers. It is not a matter of if a hard drive will fail it is when! So when my drive dies I simply restore the clone to a new drive and I am back without any data loss, with all my applications and the entire OS intact! Give it a close look. :flowers:
Kind regards,
~t
Proud member - Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators
Posted Image

I do not accept personal donations for assistance provided. I would ask that you instead consider donating the greatest gift - Organ Donation. Your organs are of no use to you when your gone. You will save a life that would otherwise be lost!

http://donatelife.net/register-now/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users