Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP is a real mess....HELP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 katonca

katonca

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:56 PM

Hello folks, I have a huge problem. Here's how it happened. I was starting the computer and during the loading process, Ad-Watch (by Ad-Aware) warnings, SpyGuard and Spybot S&D warnings also start popping up about browser hijacking attempted. Of course I blocked it but then Ad-Watch warned of new data trying to load on nearly @ 25 or more programs. These were also blocked. Here comes the troubling part. After all was said and done, almost all of my programs and files cannot be opened. When I click on one a window pops up saying it cannot open and needs to know what program created it. Now the programs are still there because I was able to right click on a file that was not able to be opened. Once it was right clicked I was able to select scan for viruses and my AVG started (AVG does not start from the icon or start menu). I have tried to get to system restore but I get the same "windows cannot open". Are the paths screwed up, is there a fix?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 09:18 PM

Reboot into safe mode and choose a restore point that existed prior to the problem.

#3 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:27 AM

u might be in trouble with viruses.
do what enthusiast have told u.

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:31 AM

if hes in trouble with viruses then restoring wont help.

Download Hijack this and extract it to its own file such as c:\program files\hijack this.....or anything else as long as it doesnt share its contents.

run it, save scan and post your log in bc's Hijack this log and analysis forum

good luck.

#5 katonca

katonca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the advice. I was just able to get back online. My son did a system recovery on the computer. Right or wrong that's where I'm at right now. Not too much was lost...thank goodness. Question though, I had to re-install office XP. Now each time I open an office XP program or an existing doc from an office program, an installer starts. The dialog says: installing (excel) feature. Now after about ten times of having to wait for it to "install" a feature that is already installed, I started canceling the action. If I cancel the installation the doc will still load. What's the dialog box all about and how do I keep it from happening each time I start a program or open an existing doc? Thanks for the help

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users