Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not all is right with Registry: Computer Freeze

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Moom

Blue Moom

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:59 AM

I've had this computer for several years. One time I left a dvd (the Royal Tennanbombs) in the computer one night after falling asleep. The next thing I know, my computer won't work right. The dvd somehow screwed it up...
About 3 years ago I had a friend wipe the computer clean and put the basic stuff back on but now it seem like there are some things not quite right with the registry. The reason I am addressing this problem now is because I didn't use it much after it was "fixed" and my current computer is messed up so now I'm using this one.

The main problems I have now is the screen will freeze up and I can't even move the mouse. I have to turn the power off and then turn it back on for it to work again. Also, I would try to use AVG and everytime, right after the scan would begin, the whole computer would shut off and reboot. Since I couldn't scan for viruses I uninstalled AVG and installed Avira. It ran the scan perfect and found 1 infection: TR/Trash.Gen Trojan. Avira healed the virus.

Another problem: It won't let me update windows!

Are there any good, free programs to use to fix this or at least find out what's wronge? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:54 AM

If you have a XP disk I suggest doing a clean instal.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

If you don't want to immediately go through reinstalling windows xp, I would suggest going here, reading through the instructions and posting your logs.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users