Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice for a new pc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nightcrue

Nightcrue

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

Hi,
I would like to get a new computer. The one I have can only be used for web browsing,email,and playing W.O.W.
and a few non taxing games that are only online. I have some pictures and a few music files. I would like to be
able to have a lot of music and play it while gaming. I don't edit now but, I'm not sure what I will be doing with
the new pc. I do know I'd like to have that ability as well as watch movies, videos, tv,(on pc monitor) burn
dvd's and play any game available now or in the near future with high settings. I'm mostly a gamer at
the moment and I do a lot of multitasking. I want to be able to do just about anything on this pc.
I definitely want a quad core.
I have looked at the Intel core i7 and thought about purchasing it if I found one at a reasonable price.
If that isn't a good idea even at reasonable price I think I'll go for an AMD quad core. I just can't decide on
Phenom or Phenom II or whether am2 or am3 would be better. I did read where DDR3 wasn't really worth
buying unless it's cheap. But, would the option be a good idea for later? I want the ability to upgrade but
would prefer not to have to do so for a few years if possible. At least not the mobo, cpu or gpu.
I'd like to be able to spend in the vicinity of $1000.00 including a monitor.
Should I buy or build. I know with building I can get exactly what I want and quality parts. But can I build
at the price I stated? I don't trust Ibuypower or Cyberpower.
Thank you,

Nightcrue

Edited by Nightcrue, 12 July 2009 - 09:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:48 PM

The only way that you can hope to attain the flexibility you want...is to build.

As for expecting any system available now to run (optimally) the latest games that come forth in a year or two...I (not a gamer) don't think that's realistic, looking at trends to date. My understanding is that gaming is GPU-intensive and GPUs come forth every day, along with increased gaming requirements.

But...those with a background in gaming can better advise you on that and the other questions/points you raised.

Louis

#3 sonicjet

sonicjet

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

From what I have seen: Yes,I may not be the most experienced but,from what I have read,I think I can be helpful.

This CPU/MoBo combo is a great deal and will work wonders: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDet...st=Combo.212193

GPU,you will need to up grade every so often,so I would worry most about that,I don't know enough about GPU's to help you,except that both Nvidia and ATI make Equally great cards,and AMD works even better with ATI cards,due to their Fusion and streaming software.

Ram,you want about 4GB or more(yes that means that you will need a 64bit copy of windows)
Supposedly,crucial,G. skill,Kingston and corsair makes great ram.
For example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231180

Drives:you will need a CD/DVD drive:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129045

PSU,Once again,I don't know everything but I would choose one with a great brand name,such as Corsair,and an output around 600-750 watts

Hard Drive:you will need a 1 TB drive to store massive amounts of music or data,you can also run your OS on a Hyperfast small drive (Such as an Western Digital Raptor or velociraptor) or a SSD and put all of your data on a second or external hard drive,doing this will half your but time and make your system extremely fast.

Case,a main brand with a price around 100$ and great cooling(3 fans or more,bonus for a 240mm fan)

Operating System:Right now is the very best time to Buy Vista,this is because you can but a copy of 64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium and can get a copy of windows 7 when it comes out for 10$,yay!

#4 Nightcrue

Nightcrue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 01:58 AM

Thanks for the replies. The main decision I needed to make was the cpu and which
brand of mobo was the best. That combo looks good. I really like that cpu.
I just didn't know if and i7 was worth it.
Thanks again.

Nightcrue

#5 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 08:19 AM

Windows Vista and Windows 7 x32 should be able to utilize 4GB of RAM fine.
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#6 sonicjet

sonicjet

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:13 PM

No varient of an 32 Bit Windows OS can fully utilize 4GB of ram,period,anything between 3GB and 4GB is used for addressing,such as your video card,and this gets worse and worse the more memory that your video card has,supposedly an 1 GB memory GPU will steal about a Gb or more of ram.
Now Vista SP1 and 7 have a patch in them that will say that it has 4GB of ram but in reality both are only using 3.(something small).

Edited by sonicjet, 14 July 2009 - 04:15 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

My 32-bit XP Home (on this computer)...uses 4GB.

System Properties currently (always has) reflects 3.37GB available, after onboard video, etc.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users