Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi, I am 8Bits

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 8Bits

8Bits

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

Hi, I am new to this site.
Can anyone help me out in deleting:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\reg.exe
When I delete reg.exe computer runs faster but gives an error message while opening the computer
I don't trust this alg.exe. What is it?

Thankyou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...esslibrary/alg/

alg.exe should not be disabled, required for essential applications to work properly
The alg.exe executable allows applications (such as IM clients, RTSP, BitTorrent, SIP, and FTP) from a client computer to dynamically utilize passive TCP/ UDP ports in communicating with known ports on a server. This allows software to access applications that reside on another computer even if there is a firewall.

The alg.exe file’s absence would cause the security protocols to block communication ports, or for network administrators to consciously open numerous ports on the firewall that would create immense network vulnerability and potential threats.

The development of alg.exe was done within the context of computer networking architectures, where it is associated with the Application Level (or Layer) Gateway Service, as well as Network Address Translation, and is designed to supplement the firewall protection of a network.

Reg.exe:
http://www.file.net/process/reg.exe.html

As long as they are in the correct location they should be left alone

Edited by garmanma, 12 July 2009 - 08:51 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 8Bits

8Bits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

Thanks

Edited by 8Bits, 12 July 2009 - 12:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users