Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most services can't start after running ComboFix and restart

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 IneedHelp2

IneedHelp2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:15 AM

I had virtumond.sdn on my PC. After running MalWareByte and SpyBot the system was clean. I should have stopped right there, however I wanted a thorough check, so I ran ComboFix by disregarding all those scary warning messages.

It didn't find anything wrong and the PC ran fine until a reboot was done. The obvious error was that Windows Defender can't initialize, no network connections exist. The real problems are most of the system services can't be started after reboot.

Recalling when running ComboFix, it reminded me that I have a couple of services running: Ad-Aware and another Antivirus program, but I couldn't find it on the process list - there was no instruction telling me how to stop it. After some effort try to resart the services without success, I decided to run ComboFix again, in hope it will do better with those services stopped. before re-run, I backed up those files created by ComboFix under the c:, not knowing that the more important files are saved under c:\windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the second Run didn't help me and I found steps how to restore the the original back up....but too late, the back up files are overridden by second run.............................

Anything else can I do to save my PC by starting those services?

Frankly, I don't quite like this program which is wide recommended yet so tricky to use and can damage a well working PC. I learned a lesson in a hard way.

I'd like to recommend you back up to a new file set each time ComboFix is run or warn users the risk to run it a second time when problems happened after first run. Also it will be nice to tell users how to stop a service if services are running.

Even though your guide "strongly advised that you do not attempt to act upon any of the information displayed by ComboFix without supervision from someone who has been properly trained", you can't imagine how many people thought they were well trained users but not at your level! In retrospect, I think my mistakes could have been avoided....

Edited by IneedHelp2, 12 July 2009 - 01:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:35 AM

Can you Run services.msc?

#3 IneedHelp2

IneedHelp2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:54 AM

Can you Run services.msc?

Yes, I can, but the Extended page is empty. On the Standard page, none of the service's property page can be displayed.

Edited by IneedHelp2, 12 July 2009 - 01:55 AM.

#4 CoolCatBad

CoolCatBad

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:37 AM

Run msconfig and see what's going on there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users