Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot.ini keeps deleting and Hal.dll missing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 akoreanyoshi

akoreanyoshi

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:24 PM

Hi i've been having this continuous problem with my computer.
when i start my computer it comes to black screen, and in white letters reads, "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file." Now this all happens before it can reach the windows loading screen. I've done some research and found couple of solution to get windows to run again. However once i shut down the computer or restart it, i get the exact same problem. I got to windows again through the Windows Recovery Console; once i got windows to run again, i searched for hal.dll, and found it where it was exactly suppose to be. however when i checked my boot.ini file, it was not present. i created a new boot.ini using the default settings. regardless once i restarted my comp the problem was still there. i've also ran a full system scan by malwarebytes. it seemed to have detected couple of infected files. After i have quarantined and deleted those infected files, the problem persists. i think i've tried everything except seek professional help. so if it's possible can someone out there assist me? Thanks in advance
-dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:39 PM

Hello akoreanyoshi,

I see you have a HJT log posted here:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/240719/bootini-keeps-deleting-and-haldll-missing/ If you wish to continue with this thread please post a reply in your misplaced post and it will be closed for you or visa-versa :thumbsup:

Regards,

Tw

#3 Mark Meriaux

Mark Meriaux

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:39 AM

Now that akoreanyoshi has posted in the appropriate thread, does anyone have any advice?

We have a computer at work having the same issues with HAL.DLL.
I haven't done the research yet to even get the machine to boot yet, but wondered if someone has seen this as a recent common "issue"?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:51 AM

Try running the "BootCfg /Rebuild" command from the Recovery Console.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 akoreanyoshi

akoreanyoshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:58 AM

i've tried that. i got to windows, and checked my boot.ini file. but there was none. i've even tried creating an entirely new boot.ini. regardless it keeps getting deleted as soon as i restart/shutdown. it's as if "something" is deleting it right before i shut my pc down. very odd...

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:09 AM

The boot.ini file is a hidden file. Do you have "show hidden files" selected? Also, you might need to uncheck "hide operating system files".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:17 AM

@Mark Meriaux
You may wish to start a new topic.

@akoreanyoshi
Could you post the MBAM log?

Regarding the boot.ini issue, I have seen 2 main causes for it.

Do you have Internet explorer 8 installed?
Do you have the AskUpgradeService on your machine?

To see if you have AskUpgradeService, go to Start >> Run >> In the open field please type in services.msc.

The services window shall appear, find AskUpgradeService or ASKUpgrade and right-click on it and select Properties.

From there make sure the Service Status is stopped and the startup type is set to disabled.
Click Ok and then exit out services.msc

Reboot your computer and see how it goes, that may resolve it or it may be some other infections on your system.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#8 pkSolutions

pkSolutions

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:56 PM

Just had a system repeatedly deleting the boot.ini file at shutdown.

Found Extremboy's post about the ASKUpgrade very useful. That service had been installed along with the ASK Toolbar on 30th August (only a few days ago). Having now removed the toolbar and therefore the upgrade service with it, the problem is resolved. Has now survived several repeated reboots without any problem.

Thanks once again for you help on this site.

#9 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:59 PM

You're welcome.

Glad we can help.

With Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users