Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing Up My System

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 willythecat

willythecat

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

In a nutshell, I want to backup my system.
My original system was Windows 98 and a while ago now, l bought the XP home UPGRADE disk and all is working fine.
A while back l had to have my system rebuilt and all l gave them was my XP UPGRADE disk. They did it, but l had to reload all of the MS upgrades to bring it up to date again (SP3).
Now another site is telling me that l need to reformat my hard drive, install W 98, re-apply the upgrade disk and download all MS upgrades?
Well l didn't give these guys my W 98 disks so how did they do it? (they won't tell me unless l pay for the priviledge)
Whilst l'd like to know the answer to this, what l really want to do is backup the complete system. In the event of a crash and a total rebuild is required, l just want to insert a disk, it boots up, and away it goes.
Is this Upgrade disk actually worth anything in restoring a system then?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:06 PM

<<...what l really want to do is backup the complete system. In the event of a crash and a total rebuild is required, l just want to insert a disk, it boots up, and away it goes.>>

From what I read (and interpreted)...what you really need to do is clone your system partition...onto another hard drive.

When problems arise, you just remove one drive and insert the other.

EASEUS Partition Master is a magic partition manager software for Windows 2000-XP-Vista-2003- - http://www.partition-tool.com/

<<My original system was Windows 98 and a while ago now, l bought the XP home UPGRADE disk and all is working fine.>>

You can do a clean install from the upgrade version of XP...see following link: Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

<<Now another site is telling me that l need to reformat my hard drive, install W 98, re-apply the upgrade disk and download all MS upgrades?>>

It's not necessary to reinstall the former operating system (Win 9x) when doing a clean install from an upgrade version of XP. It is necessary to have the system recognize that a qualifying product is owned/possessed. In such case, any install CD reflecting Win 98 would do. Many computer shops (and persons) have access to such today.

<<Well l didn't give these guys my W 98 disks so how did they do it?>>

I think I just covered that...there's no magic involved, IMO.

<<Is this Upgrade disk actually worth anything in restoring a system then?>>

If that is a Microsoft upgrade version of XP, complete with valid license...that is your authorization for installing XP. That CD contains all the files necessary to do a clean install or a repair install of XP Home.

FWIW: Anytime a user does a repair install...that is less than the same SP-level that the system currently reflects...the user will have to reinstall all critical updates which were not included on the CD used to do the repair install. If I have my system at SP3 and I use a CD reflecting only SP1...to do a repair install...I will have over 100 critical updates I need to reinstall.

Louis

#3 willythecat

willythecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:43 AM

Many thanks hamluis, that's answered my questions.
Just wanted to be able to restore everything to my existing drive. All my disks are genuine, so the Upgrade disk should therefore be ok for booting according to what you say, and l'll also have a browse through those links you suggest.
Thanks again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:51 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users