Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound problem

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 useakme

useakme

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:18 PM

Ok ive been running compro pvr to watch cable tv on my pc and the problem i had was that if i went to a site that had sound and animation or video while watching tv at the same time, i would get the blue screen and it would crash. Someone told me it was probably because there were 2 drivers installed and they were conflicting with one another... so, i went ahead and disabled one of them, but now im not getting any sound at all. There is no speaker on my taskbar and under sounds & multimedia, the box which would normally be checked off for that is greyed out.

What should i do? As you can tell im not the most computer literate person out there. lol

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:57 PM

I think we need more information.
What is the make and model of your computer?
What type of audio card is it?
What OS are you using?
JC

#3 useakme

useakme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:31 PM

I think we need more information.
What is the make and model of your computer?
What type of audio card is it?
What OS are you using?

Its just a no name brand clone.. im not sure what the motherboard is but i can find out if its helpful. I'm running windows 2000 pro and the audio card is edio live theatre 5.1.

I re-installed the software the sound card came with and i also re-installed the compro pvr software, but still no sound.

Thanks for the reply.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:05 PM

Download and install Everest. It will give us detailed information about your computer.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en

It will tell us detailed information about your computer.
Specifically, we are looking for the exact make/model of your audio card.

Did you try to remove all the audio devices from device manager, and reboot to see if 2K picks them up again?

Make sure nothing is disabled when the drivers are loaded again.
Also, make sure your sound is turned up as high as it will go, and all of your physical connections are OK.

Keep us posted.
JC

#5 useakme

useakme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:53 PM

Ok i downloaded that program and did a report. I was going to attach it to this post but i see i can't attach a file here.

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2766 MHz (14 x 198)
Motherboard Name ASRock P4VT8+ (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8763 Apollo PT800
System Memory 256 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (12/30/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter MSI MS-StarForce GeForce FX 5600 XT (NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 XT) (128 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 XT
Monitor ViewSonic A70f-2 [17" CRT] (23X014301199)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Device

I hope this is helpful info.

I also tried to remove the audio devices like you said and reboot. It did re-install something but sound still doesnt work.

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:06 PM

Audio Adapter C-Media CMI8738/C3DX Audio Device

or

edio live theatre 5.1.

Do you have a sound card built into your motherboard and another one that is separate...
Another PCI card? Do you have more than 1 set of audio inputs and outputs?

Also...how did you do this...

so, i went ahead and disabled one of them,

Edited by Joshuacat, 09 July 2005 - 04:08 PM.

JC

#7 useakme

useakme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:23 AM

You know what, i do have 2 of them. When i bought it i was told it didnt have a sound card or anything, so later on i went and bought one and put it in myself. It's no wonder i had problem with my pc crashing after i installed it.. that must have been causing conflicts.

Well i went to sounds and multimedia, right clicked on one of the drivers and choose disable. I really shouldn't have been doing that because i didn't really know what i was doing i just wanted to try it anyway. I dont even remember which one it was.

This is what i currently have listed in device manager under sound, video and game controllers:

audio codecs
CM18738/C3DX PCI audio device
legacy audio drivers
legacy video capture devices
media control devices
MPU-401 compatible MIDI device
standard game port
standard game port - yes there are 2 of them listed
video codecs
videomate tv capture
videomate tv tuner

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 08:45 AM

To disable the audio card that is on your motherboard, you need to go into the BIOS.
Normally when your computer is starting up it is the f1 or f2 key. Some systems will tell you at start-up what key sequence to hit to get into the BIOS.
JC

#9 useakme

useakme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 10:10 AM

To disable the audio card that is on your motherboard, you need to go into the BIOS.
Normally when your computer is starting up it is the f1 or f2 key. Some systems will tell you at start-up what key sequence to hit to get into the BIOS.

Ok i did that and disabled the onboard audio.. i assume this is right.

What do i need to do now? I still don't have the speaker icon on my system tray and in sounds and multimedia, the 'show volume control on the taskbar' is stil greyed out.

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 11:08 AM

Is there anything listed in device manager with a question mark?
That would mean that 2k sees an unknown device.

Remove your audio devices again from device manager.
Reboot. Let Windows pick them back up again. Provide the driver if necessary.

If there is still no sound, go into each entry in device manager and make sure that they are not disabled(sound related only)

Post back.

Joshuacat
JC

#11 useakme

useakme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:58 PM

Is there anything listed in device manager with a question mark?
That would mean that 2k sees an unknown device.

Remove your audio devices again from device manager.
Reboot. Let Windows pick them back up again. Provide the driver if necessary.

If there is still no sound, go into each entry in device manager and make sure that they are not disabled(sound related only)

Post back.

Joshuacat

No there are no ? marks in the device manager.. actually even when it was crashing with the 'beginning dump of physical memory - blue screen of death', there were no ? marks either.

OKkk so i removed the devices again and rebooted... then i had to reinstall one driver for videomate, then i rebooted again. Now for the good news.. i had sound! As windows was coming up, i could hear the opening tune, however not long after that, i got the blue screen of death again, so i had to reboot.

So good news is at least the sound is working, bad news is that it is prone to crashing again. Its progress though! I thank you sir.

I thought though if i disabled the on board sound that it would prevent the crashes.. unless there is more to it.

#12 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 04:32 PM

Well, at least you are back to where you were before. :thumbsup:
What Service pack are you running? If you are not using SP4, I would suggest that you download it from the Microsoft Windows Update Website, along with all the other critical security updates and fixes. I believe the service pack is list under System in the control panel. It is also under the operating system tab in Everest.

What does the BSOD say, or does it not give you enough time to write down the message? Any part of the message would be helpful...Could you go into event viewer(I believe it is under administrative tools in 2k) and look for the message(s), around the time of the BSOD? How long have you been getting the BSOD? What are you using for your anti-virus? What are you using for spyware protection? Can you run a complete scandisk and defrag? Just ruling things out at this point...

Post back again.
JC

#13 useakme

useakme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 05:53 PM

Well, at least you are back to where you were before. :thumbsup:
What Service pack are you running? If you are not using SP4, I would suggest that you download it from the Microsoft Windows Update Website, along with all the other critical security updates and fixes. I believe the service pack is list under System in the control panel. It is also under the operating system tab in Everest.

What does the BSOD say, or does it not give you enough time to write down the message? Any part of the message would be helpful...Could you go into event viewer(I believe it is under administrative tools in 2k) and look for the message(s), around the time of the BSOD? How long have you been getting the BSOD? What are you using for your anti-virus? What are you using for spyware protection? Can you run a complete scandisk and defrag? Just ruling things out at this point...

Post back again.

I am running service pack 4.

I went into event viewer and i THINK this may be it, but if not i will write down everything when it happens again. I know it said a physical memory dump but i dont remember what else.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini071005-01.dmp.

I have been getting that blue screen ever since i installed the sound card. It never happened before that. I'm using Norton Anti-virus, and Black Ice Defender firewall. I will run a scandisk and defrag tonight, i know its been awhile.

#14 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2005 - 06:30 PM

What is listed now under audio in the device manager?
What is listed in Everest?

Are you running any spyware detection?

Ad-Aware and Spybot are a couple of the best free ones that you can get.

Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer
Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

You can also check your memory by downloading a program called Memtest86.
It is a free download. It requires that you create a boot disk.
I would recommend that you let it run overnight.

http://www.memtest86.com/

This will let you know if you have a problem with the memory(RAM) in your computer
Post again with the results.

Edit: Added memory test suggestion.

Edited by Joshuacat, 10 July 2005 - 07:04 PM.

JC

#15 useakme

useakme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2005 - 08:59 AM

Sorry for the late reply. Scandisk and defrag could not complete.. it would just stop and not go anywhere.

listed in device manager:

audio codecs
CM18738/c3dx PCI audio device
legacy audio drivers
legacy video capture devices
media control devices
MPU-401 compatable MIDI
standard game port (x2)
video codecs
videomate tv capture
videomate tv tuner

I wrote down the error message (blue screen) that i get:

*** stop 0x000000d1 - then there are alot of numbers following
driver_irql_not_less_or_equal
beginning dump of physical memory

I tried out a trial version of spyware but it ran out awhile ago so now i really have nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users