Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to install my driver?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 vegasripper2004

vegasripper2004

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:53 PM

ive tried downloading every driver from the motherboard company and the realtek company website

motherboard is a gigabyte 945gcm-s2l

i apperantly dont know how to install the drivers, my device i THINK is coming out under devices as "? PCI DEVICE"

and whenever i extract and click setup on the driver it doesnt work, so i dont have internet,

(i lost the original CD it came with)

exactly how do i install my driver?? i tried extracting it into a folder on desktop and using the advanced method in add hardware by directing it to that folder but it always comes back like it doesnt have enuf info or something after it says "connect to internet to find updates" i click no seeing as i dont haev internet -,-

help would be greatly appreciated, jut need to know how to install this driver on WINDOWS XP.

- jason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CompuMechs

CompuMechs

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

The Gigabyte website has download links for the Chipset, Video, Audio, and Lan. I would install them in that order. Here is the link www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2669&ost=xp#anchor_os

Are you downloading these from another computer and transferring the files? If so, be sure to copy the files from the transfer medium to the target computer. Attempting to run or extract the files from the transfer media will most likely not work correctly.

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

Ifr you have XP with SP3 you are going to have a problem if you are trying to install the Realtek High Definition sound driver.

The problem is the sound driver tries to install a needed file BUT since the SP version is SP3 it thinks the driver is already there so it doesn't install it.

There is a simple work around for the problem but it involves working in the Windows Registry & I've already been reamed by BleepingComputer for posting registry "how to's" .

Apparently BC hasn't discovered the "Last known good configuration" option if a mistake is made in the registry.

For those 2 reasons I no longer post fixes that involve opening the registry.

If the problem is with a Realtec Network [LAN] adapter try downloading the driver here,

http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Driv...ealtek_8111.exe

Make a new folder in My Documents & save the download to it
After the DL is complete open the folder & double click the icon
Click Run
Click Extract
Open the new folder that appears
Double click Setup
Follow the prompts to install the driver.

Edited by fairjoeblue, 11 July 2009 - 04:01 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 vegasripper2004

vegasripper2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

i not using SP3, i previously was, but all the drivers were already intalled before i bumped to sp3, and it worked for a few months. its a lan card o.o

anyway i tried instaling in that oder, something did change under device manager it omes out "ethernet adapter" or something like that, but the PCI device i still there, i also tried the driverforge to get it to work, but never does, tried all the drivers in order, but still to no avail, i really appreciate the replies,

the lan card doesnt coem out in BIOS nemore,

#5 vegasripper2004

vegasripper2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:37 PM

just did what you said and downloaded from america.gigabyte (the link u gave me) followed your intructions and installed it, then rebooted, when i came back hardware wizard came back so i clicked next etc saying couldnt find the driver or not enuf info or something, btu a folder came out in my C: drive, as realtek gbE & FE Ehernet PCI-E NIC Driver with files inide of it, but still wont install -.-

#6 vegasripper2004

vegasripper2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:46 PM

it says in the installlog for the ethernet

"installing = 'PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&CC_0200'
Found no Devices, preinstll driver . . .
copy INF success
exi code: = 0"

tho all the other drivers installed with no problem -.-

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:10 PM

Are you 100% sure the unknown "PCI device" is the network adapter ?

Try this, go to the Device Manager & uninstall the unknown device
Restart the computer.

I have found that on occassion when I was having a problem getting a device to install that works,

BTW, can you go online with the unit ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:55 AM

is it possible that you turned it off in the bios ?
i know you can turn things like onboard sound and modem and midi and stuff

#9 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:10 AM

If the network adapter were disabled in the BIOS it wouldn't be recognized by Windows or show in the device manager.

I have had problems installing Realtec High Definition sound drivers but never a network adapter !

#10 vegasripper2004

vegasripper2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:47 AM

hey guys, i tried everything, and its not disabled in bios because it doesnt appear in bios -.- i had a check up and it seems there was a defect in the built in, so i baught a crummy lan card for about $4, worked instantly -.- case closed i guess? just bad luck

thanks for all the help,

but theres another problem, o.o im on the computer now and fairjoeblue

im having that problem -.- my realtek high definition sound driver, wont install, i mean it installed, its under sound and video controllers or whatever and it comes out that the device is working properly, but im not getting any sound out of my z-10 logitech speakers the driver date on the z-10 coems out 7/1/2001 o.o
what should i do? i tried reinstalling etc o.o

thanks guys, help me fairjoeblue xD haha

thnx guys

#11 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

" its not disabled in bios because it doesnt appear in bios -"

I downloaded the manual for the gigabyte 945gcm-s2l

In the BIOS Integrated Peripherals section the LAN [network adapter is listed.

Onboard H/W LAN [Enabled]
�� SMART LAN1 [Press Enter]
Onboard LAN Boot ROM [Disabled

Onboard H/W LAN [Enabled] , that needs to be enabled as it is the actual device

�� SMART LAN1 [Press Enter], When enabled it allows the LAN to be turned off to save power after a period of disuse. To avoid problems I suggest setting this to Disabled, the network adapter doesn't use enough power to worry about it.

Onboard LAN Boot ROM [Disabled , When enabled it allows the unit to boot from a network. Leave it disabled.

On to the sound issue !

First, before trying to figure out what's wrong with the computer make SURE the speakers work.
Hook them to a different computer & make sure they produce sound.
Don't assume they work, even if they are new.

If the speakers work proceed,

Go to the Device Manager, is there anything with a ! on it ?
If so what does it say ?
If not close the control panel.

Now for the speaker hook up,

Assuming you are using the connection on the back of the computer the speakers should be plugged in to the green socket.

#12 vegasripper2004

vegasripper2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:40 PM

well the speakers worked just theo ther day before i reformatted

it has its own power cord that connects to the exntension cord i have for all the wires from the computer
and its usb, so its plugged in in the back of the computer,
in device manager
nothing comeso ut with a ! or a ? (it says everything is properly installed)

i tried uninstalling it, and reinstalling it, same thing, and when i tried to update drivers it says it cant find a driver more up 2 date than the 1 its using

thanks 4 the replies
hope i can get my sound working xD

#13 CompuMechs

CompuMechs

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:28 PM

Sorry I took so long to get back to this post. Is your sound issue resolved? Some systems have an option to switch between digital and analog output... which is yours set to? Check the sound panel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users