Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet explorer not responding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vmax8915147

vmax8915147

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

after I ran McCafee virus scan internet explorer won't open.Outlook Express however still works. Ive run malwarebytes scan which detects nothing. My O.S. is xp media center 2003 Internet explorer 8 w/ service pack 3 as my browser. I'm typing this on a library computer as I cannot access the internet on my computer at home. A friend suggested uninstalling inI.E. 8 and going back to I.E7 just to get back on the web. Can I do this without internet access? Any help appreciated. Thanks----Chuck

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vmax8915147

vmax8915147
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

Today I disabled add-ons and ie opened. I have to disable add-ons everytime.Looking through the list of add-ons there's nothing that was created the day my problems started. I think I'm close to fixing this but need to know the next step. Any help appreciated

Edited by vmax8915147, 12 July 2009 - 04:51 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:09 PM

<<I have to disable add-ons everytime.>>

Not true...disabled addons are supposed to remain disabled (mine do) and therefore don't appear to create problems.

What I would do is just uninstall/remove (using Add/Remove Programs) everything that's reflected in addons (should be less than 5 programs) and then reinstall the ones that I think are worth having.

If you cannot find an uninstall entry for such...consider the possibility of malware or nuisanceware (those silly bars that some like to install..which pave the way for adware).

One of those may be damaged, thereby creating a problem for IE.

Louis

#4 vmax8915147

vmax8915147
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:23 AM

Hi sorry I haven't replied. Heres where I'm at right now. Microsoft's solution to this problem is to diable all add-ons then enable them 1 at a time checking if IE opens after each one. I havent had time to do this yet as I think it will take some time to get through them all. I installed" hijack this " recently which runs itself when I start up. My configuration is to run at start up and show it when items are found which is what it's doing. Should someone look at the log file from these startup scans? Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users