Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Notification Sound- Windows XP pro exclamation.wav

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nolhtapro

Nolhtapro

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:49 PM

I am currently having trouble decifering exactly what is causing a pretty random exclamation.wav notification sound from my win XP platform. It is a sort of double ding type sound happening every minute or so. I do not get any pop-up window but sometimes I get a sort of orange flash in the taskbar indicator of the open window ( you know the rectangular button of the open window will flash from blue to orange during the quick sound) this is if there is a window open obviously, but there doesn't have to be anything at all, in fact it even dings with nothing running and during late shutdown when you'd think most processes were allready stopped??? BTW this is the only indication of notification outside of looking in event viewer...which does contyain many exclamations, Im assuming that is normal as I've seen them before but they don't seem to keep updating so somthing is foul....

BTW I think the problem may be viris related but am not posative I've had a few in the past. I am pretty convinced it is somthing loading with the platform itself as I have tried the following:

Watching task mgr processes run to try and see CPU activity during the notification...even shutting down some I thought might have been causing this...no luck

I also tried using msconfig to eliminate loading un-necessary programs using diagnostic Startup mode and even eliminating services after startup until computer shut down due to shutting down too much. Still never eliminating the notification at any time ever.

I tried to utilize the event viewer but it doesn't update at the time of the notification, please note I can see information and error messages but if I clear it to get new alerts nothing happens there is no new info. Therefore I really can't determine which event caused the notification, its like an automatic endless loop thing that keeps triggering every minute or so. I manually shut off everything I can including the network adaptors etc..no luck this notification is persistant as long as windows is loaded you will hear the sound. I could disable it easily I believe- havn't actually tried yet but I just might to see if I can temporarily might tell me more??, but I'd prefer to ultimatly find the cause and fix it right if possible.

I even tried the event viewer that another post here had a link to and it also didn't update with new info at time of notification, so I am really at a loss as to how to proceed??? Running low on options I guess....I'm pretty desperate

BTW I had Norton Systemworks 2003 before the problem, It was a mess to un-install and I now am using Mcafee internet security suite from ATT service, it is current but doesn't seem to find the issue. please note I did encounter some viris activity around the same time I started getting this issue but I can't say for sure it has been a few years since the problem happened and I wasn't using the computer much since then. I want to try and salvage the system as it has alot of software I cant replace easily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated from a software Guru ;)

Sorry this post is so long I just wanted to give necessary info and Bkground

System is ASUS A7N8X N-force, Windows XP Pro, 1 gig dual channel ram, dual NIC, Barton 2500, Gainward Goldensample V-card Dual Monitor, Maxtor EIDE Not that it matters but I built the comp for EDA development (laying out schematics and P.C.B.'s) back a few years ago and it has worked well until this issue.

P.S. I attached a text file from (Services local) and can later send Event viewer or other info if it would help anyone to see my pblm.
Many thanks for any advice or help out here, I'm out of clues again......:thumbsup:

Best Regards,
Mike

Attached Files

Edited by Nolhtapro, 11 July 2009 - 02:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pivotraze

pivotraze

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:59 PM

Download and install HijackThis run a scan, save a log file, and post it in the appropriate forum. A hijack this analysis expert will help you as soon as possible, the load in that forum is pretty bad.
Proud user of Windows 7 Ultimate

Developer of: Seafire Suite
Developer of: Pivot: Revolution

System Specs: 4GB Ram, Intel i3-2350M,

MaxxAudio® LE

, 1600x900 17.3" HD+ TruBrite LED Screen , and Intel HD 3000 Graphics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users