Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dumpchk results of BSOD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 molecul3

molecul3

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

Hi all,

I have been getting BSODs on a new Thinkpad laptop and it always says that win32k.sys is the culprit.I ran some memory diagnostics and also PC doctor and results were good so I believe it is not a hardware issue. Coincidently, the only time it seems to blue screen is when I remote to the PC via an application called NetOp. We install a NetOp host on laptops and it allows administrators to log on to troubleshoot remotely. I am new to dumpchk and I just ran it and got the results below.

Can someone tell me what is wrong? FYI - I logged a call with Lenovo and they said win32k.sys has something to do with the display driver and so I updated the BIOS and video card drivers but it still BSODed on me.
---------------------------------
Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, bf8198cd, a7078d70, 0}

Probably caused by : win32k.sys ( win32k!WatchdogIsFunctionHooked+b )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

Finished dump check
----------------------------

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:34 PM

Not much to go on, as usual for STOP errors :thumbsup:.

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didnít catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

0xC0000005: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION indicates that a memory access violation occurred. This is often the result of poorly written or damaged drivers.

Since it only happens when you use this remote app, I would have to guess that there is file corruption present in that program.

Many programs (along with the customary hardware items) employ drivers (your AV, your firewall, your video editor, etc.) so I think users often get confused when they read that a driver was involved. They are thinking "hardware" when it could just as easily be corrupt drivers in a program.

If it were me, I'd uninstall...then reinstall and update that program.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users