Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me regain sanity...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 duguy14

duguy14

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:23 PM

Alright so here is the deal:

A couple of days ago I bought a new computer (toshiba satellite m505). It has 4 gigs of ram, 2.0 Pentium® dual core, and the typical intel shared graphics card. So I have been using my schools wireless lately which is kind of shady, but works pretty well most of the time. Anyways - the nearest wireless router is somewhat far away so I typically only get 3 bars in my room. However, even with 3 bars on a t1 connection I am only getting .35 mbps (up/down). But my roomate for some reason (has a sony with 3gigs ram and same processor) has an upload/download speed of 1.3 mbps and he is only getting 2 bars! The only real difference between are computers is his is 32 bit and mine is 64. I know because mine is 64 I am unable to hook up to the school printers but i dont know if this would effect wireless speed or not. Please just help me figure out why my computer is running 3 times slow. I have installed all the windows updates, uninstalled my wireless drivers, and re-installed the most current ones...I just dont know, lol.

Thanks guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:48 PM

Welcome to BC :thumbsup:

Change the channel of your wireless device. Try changing them to 1, 6 and 11 (standard channels in USA). See if it improves your signal strength. Just use hit and try technique. Keep the channel that gives best results.

I hope it helps you :flowers:

Edited by Romeo29, 11 July 2009 - 04:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users