Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connected to Wireless Network But No Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ajk1000

ajk1000

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:21 PM

Hi,

After 2 years or so of perfectly fine connection to the internet, my computer has decided not to connect anymore. The computer will say that it is connected to the wireless network and it shows the speed at 54.0 mpbs. Signal strength is excellent. Yet when I open up my internet browser it won't work.

My wireless router is an Airlink 101 AR420W and my modem is a Speedstream 5100. My connect card thing is a Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN.

Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

Now I am assuming that you didn't install a new piece of software, an anti-virus program or some sort of firewall and its blocking you?

If all those icons are saying you're connected you just might be, but IE or FF or whatever you browse with might be stuffed up. Do you have Yahoo? or MSN messenger? or the like? And do they connect?

If you don't use those sorts of programs lets look at your connection info with an ipconfig /all.

ipconfig /all = Start....Run....type cmd hit enter.....in black box type "ipconfig /all"(without the " ) and hit enter.

You are looking for your wireless connection and the line that reads: "Dhcp enabled....(some dots)... Yes" and the lines below that. Make sure you are looking at your wireless connection. On the right side they should be something like
  • Yes
  • 192.168.x.x
  • 192.168.x.1
  • 192.168.x.1
If those IP addresses start with 169.x.x.x then you are not connecting to the router. But the wireless software says that you are so I expect them to be 192.168.x.x. If you are getting the 169.x.x.x, uninstall the wireless software reboot and reinstall it.

If that all looks ok, try the ping command: type "ping www.google.com" or "ping 75.125.65.147" This will tell if the computer is capable of sending the most basic of info out to the net.

You are looking for the line: Packets Sent = 4...Received = 4...Lost = 0. If it gives you an error, instead of www.google.com...type the IP address.

If your wireless connection looks ok, no matter if you can ping or not I'd head over to the Am I infected? What do I do? section of these forums for some help.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 etcrla

etcrla

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:34 PM

You might also want to check and see if your router has any firmware upgrades available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users