Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Concerned about RAM voltage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

Hello everyone.

I just bought a motherboard and RAM. The RAM is cheap, but it is 2GB DDR3 1333 with a latency of.... 6!!!

Now this might seem blazing fast... which it is... but Im really concerned about the voltage (which is why i figure it is so cheap). After reading further about the memory Ive learned that some motherboards have a max voltage support for their chipsets. Unfortunatly I learned of this after purchasing the RAM and board.

So now I want to know if this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813186168 and this RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820148306 will work.

The RAM is 1.8v. Ive looked and looked for voltage specs for the board and cant find any. Maybe you will have better luck.

I just need to know if my board will support the RAM voltage wise.

Thanks,
-Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:10 PM

1.8V is very low for a memory stick & almost every motherboard that will use that type on memory will run it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:12 PM

Very low? You mean very high... most RAM is 1.5 to 1.6v (on newegg anyway.)

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:26 PM

I went to the Foxconn site & looked at the specifications for the motherboard.
It did not give any specific voltage for the memory.
I downloaded the manual & checked it.
No specific voltage was given
In the manul memory section it simply says,

4 x 240-pin DDR3 DIMM sockets
Support up to 8GB of system memory
Dual channel DDR3 1333/1066/800 MHz architecture

Since no voltage requiremenys are listed in the specifications or manual it should be able to run 1.8V memory.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users