Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange noises some time after turning on PC after putting in new graphics card

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cyanide263

Cyanide263

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:13 AM

Hi. My computer has been acting very odd recently. I installed a new 512MB Raedon Graphics card. After a while, about 2 weeks, it started making whirring noises, amlost like it was about to explode or overheat. I kept turning it off, letting it cool down in case it was overheating, and it still happened. So I checked the fans to see if a wire was caught in it, because my brother had the same issue when he installed the graphics card, but the fans all seemed fine. It doesn't seem to be doing it at the moment, I'm running a MBAM scan for spyware removal issue on another forum, and I keep thinking that it might do this again during the scan, and I was afraid to leave it on when it was doing this. I checked the internal components on it today, everything seems in order, but it starts up slightly noisier for about 3 seconds when I power it on. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:59 AM

You didn't give the model of the video card but if it is anywhere near a reasonably newer model it's probably working right.

Some of the newer RADEON video cards have fans that run at a slower speed until the video card starts heating up when it's under a heavyer load.
During startup a computer is under a heavy load so it is normal for heat controlled CPU & video card fans to spin faster , thus being louder , until the unit is fullu started.

I have a [Sapphire] Radeon HD 3850 512MB video card in this one.
Unless the video card is under a heavy load the fan only spins at 25% .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Cyanide263

Cyanide263
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:43 PM

Thanks. I have definitely found that it is the graphics card. Sometimes after leaving the computer on for a couple of hours, it starts making the noises, but then it dies down. Its certainly the card, because I listened at the back of the tower and the noise was coming from there. Its a Raedon 1000 something, can't remember the exact model, but its got a fan in the centre that when I checked it wasn't obstructed, spinned around just fine. But I don't like the way it intermittently makes the noises after a while of inactivity. Must just be what you described, because vista is a graphics intensive OS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users