Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got mail form B/C

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:35 AM

When I get a email for this forum and click on the site under The topic can be found here: it will not open. This also happens with other sites. It started after Alltel went to Windstream. I'm thinking it is a setting in Outlook Express. I haven't been able to find it , Tools/Options. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:14 AM

Not sure if anything on this page might help?

http://www2.windstream.net/alltel/portal/c...ckupCenter.html

Are you able to send and receive emails via OE?

Also, is the link IN the emails from this site 'complete' or is it a bit cut off? Does it LOOK like a complete link ?

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for getting back. Yes I can send and receive email using O.E. I just got one from B/C
The topic can be found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...howtopic=240619
Please note that if you wish to get email notification of any replies to this topic, you will have to click on the
"Track this Topic" link shown on the topic page, or by visiting the link below:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...56&t=240619
These two htpp: are cut and pasted. Neither will open a page.

#4 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:21 AM

When YOU click on either of those links in your reply WILL they open TO the correct page on here?

Meanwhile I will experiment with this thread to see if the 'reply' link will work for me :thumbsup:

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:05 AM

Good morning snowdrop. No they will not open. I don't think it's this site. My email address has change from Alltel to Windstream which was a hassle. May be in the process I have changed the settings in O.E.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:04 AM

Is it just this site links or do all links not open?

#7 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:06 AM

Thanks for getting back. Yes I can send and receive email using O.E. I just got one from B/C
The topic can be found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...howtopic=240619
Please note that if you wish to get email notification of any replies to this topic, you will have to click on the
"Track this Topic" link shown on the topic page, or by visiting the link below:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...56&t=240619
These two htpp: are cut and pasted. Neither will open a page.

lets try that again :thumbsup:

THIS I have taken from MY OE inbox

'The topic can be found here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...view=getnewpost

There may be more replies to this topic, but only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic. This is
to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox.'

is what I see when I get a reply to this thread

what happens if you now click on each of those links in THIS posting ......

where if anywhere do YOU end up?

Am off to see if I can find info on your settings :flowers:

Edited by snowdrop, 12 July 2009 - 08:12 AM.

#8 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:18 AM

Looks like you are not alone in this quest :flowers:

we are customers of windstream which used to be alltel and we have our outlook express email on the laptop working perfect

try some of the info on here; looks like a pictorial guide too :thumbsup:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...25144025AAfCZZ1

#9 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:19 AM

Did what you asked snowdrop and it sent me to your post at 9:06 today.And to answer Queen-Evie question. I get very little email. I just got one from Kaspersky and the web site in the email also will not open. I have just recieved a email from B/C from snowdrop.http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=240601&view=getnewpost and it will not open

#10 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:27 AM

lets widen this a bit.................

Do you belong to any other forums and do you have the same problem with their email replies to subcribed threads?

I have met this problem ON another site with another member and cannot yet recall how it got resolved :thumbsup:

http://www.helpwithmypc.info/pc-help/hyper...ook-express.php
I note you have more that ONE Browser? Which have you given to be your default one?

and 'links in messages stop working'...have a read >>>>
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/bugs.htm#hyperlinks

Edited by snowdrop, 12 July 2009 - 08:35 AM.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:53 AM

1) Hold down the ctrl key while clicking on the link. If it opens, you have an over-active pop-up blocker.

2) Check to see if IE is the default browser.
Start Internet Explorer then go to Tools / Internet Options and select the "Programs " tab.
Make sure the message "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser"
is selected. If not, then check it. Click Apply.

3) If neither of those works,
Go back to Internet Options.
Advanced tab.
RESET your Internet Explorer settings.
(In IE8, you are given the option to Delete Personal Settings. I suggest you delete them. I can't recall if IE7 gives you that option)

By resetting, your home page will be changed to msn. You can easily change it back to whatever you prefer.
It will also delete your history, add-ons, form data, etc.

IE and Outlook Express are closely intertwined. The 3rd method is something that is suggested as a possible fix.
It's worked for me a few times in the past, and for others I have recommended try this method.

#12 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:24 AM

I just opened Kaspersky form email so I should get some from them. I have the check mark in check and see if I.E. is default. The default tab is not darkened I have noticed some things. In internet accounts I have some things I don't know what they are.(Active Directory, Bigfoot Internet dire, WhoWhere Internet and VeriSign internet DIR. Also in my mail account I don't have anything in the Reply address box. My home page is now MSN and I have reset I.E. settings to default and now it wants me to down load I.E. 8. Is down loading 8 okay. Still have the same problem. Let me give all a special THANKS for all your work and help. Don't give up on me.

#13 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:40 AM

Good news and bad news. I have been on the phone with Windstream help and support. Did every thing they said. Same problem. Thats the good news. The bad news, they would like me to email there help and support when any body figures out the problem. Lots of people seam to be having the same problem. I can email my self with a web site in the text and I can't open it either. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

#14 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:50 AM

Have you yet done this

Quene -Evie

2) Check to see if IE is the default browser.
Start Internet Explorer then go to Tools / Internet Options and select the "Programs " tab.
Make sure the message "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser"
is selected. If not, then check it. Click Apply.

as unless you tell your computer which browser it should use as the default one then the computer will not know :flowers:

As to your OE >>>> I suspect you will find lots in there accounts-wise

If I look in MY Internet Accounts/All tab I have a lot in there

As to taking on IE8? If this were me I would delay that until you have THIS issue sorted :thumbsup:

#15 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

Yes I have checked to make sure I.E. is my default browser. It's checked and says it's my default browser. I still have the problem. I will hold off on I.E.8. Thanks for your help snowdrop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users