Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sygate Firewall

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blackfolder

blackfolder

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:04 PM

Hi,

I have just had my computer cleaned on the HJT forum with a lot of help from OldTimer. And now I have installed a free firewall which is Sygate. But forgive me for being dumb but what do I allow to run and what should I stop running ? Is there a log somewhere that explains this because at the moment there are about 12 programs trying to run. I know its ok to let explorer run and outlook but there are programs like NT Kernel & System, LEXPPS.EXE and others which I have no clue about.

Any help would be great. :thumbsup:

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:31 PM

A general rule of the thumb is that if you do something on the computer and you get a popup request (like opening Firefox), if you recognise the application than allow it. If you are not performing an activity and get the popup request, or do not recognise the program originating the packet(click on Detail if needed), then click on No, but do not make the decision permanent; if something untoward happens as a result of the decision (you cannot lauch an application, for example) you can thereafter allow it.

A handy way to begin using Sygate is to use the APPLICATIONS icon to see all the applications you have and make an initial decision for each one
Allow, Block, or Ask are the choices. You can allow your AV and ISP connexions,,block Realmedia update, and ask for other applications that you might not want to automatically allow Net access: IM applications and media players, for example.

A third example of popup request results in an application change. If you have updated software recently, then allow it; if you have NOT knowlingly updated a particular application, program, or game, then check NO; if this subsequently prevents it from running, then you can allow it at that time.

Hope this helps,
John

Edited by jgweed, 08 July 2005 - 03:37 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 blackfolder

blackfolder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 04:58 AM

Thats great cheers John :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users