Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PXE Error msg

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pilgrim1

Pilgrim1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:49 AM

I have read the other posts here on the subject. They have not helped.

Situation:
Restarting a 2005 HP Laptop with XP updated that has been out of service for six months due to what I thought was a busted power jack in the unit.

I pulled the old hard drive and installed it in a case as a backup to the new laptop I bought. It works fine there.

Discovered that old laptop powers on with a new plug, so I pulled the old HD out of the accy case and reinstalled it in the old laptop. Tried to boot.

Problem:
Try to boot from reinstalled old HD and it reports the PXE error. BIOS does not report a hard drive in place.

Try to boot from the XP setup disk. Screen msg shows that it's installing software. Then it calls for pressing ENTER to set up Windows.

Press ENTER and get error msg saying setup did not find any hard drives installed.

Change boot order, disable network boot up, etc. No joy.

At this point, web search tells me that HD is probably bad, so go buy another one of the proper type, but much larger capacity (160 gig vs old 80 gig).

Run through same install/setup routines with new HD in place and get same results: same PXE error msg when it comes time to do Windows setup.

Tear hair. Gnash teeth. Get on line to this outfit.

What's happening here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:12 AM

I would try a new CMOS battery.

When the CMOS battery runs down...my experiences with XP indicates that the user will receive any number of various error messages...such as the ones your are receiving.

The system cannot perform normally with a dying/weak battery.

How to replace the CMOS battery. - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

FWIW: That PXE error, IME, occurs when the BIOS, for whatever reason, is trying to boot the system from a network. Such things can happen when the CMOS battery needs to be replaces, IME.

Louis

#3 Pilgrim1

Pilgrim1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

I would try a new CMOS battery.

When the CMOS battery runs down...my experiences with XP indicates that the user will receive any number of various error messages...such as the ones your are receiving.

The system cannot perform normally with a dying/weak battery.

How to replace the CMOS battery. - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

FWIW: That PXE error, IME, occurs when the BIOS, for whatever reason, is trying to boot the system from a network. Such things can happen when the CMOS battery needs to be replaces, IME.

Louis

Thanks for the thought, Louis.

The system clock and date are still correct, so may I assume that the CMOS battery is still up to par?

FYI, if I disable the network as a boot source, I don't get the error msg; the system just stops with no msg delivered.

Pilgrim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users