Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After System Restore, seperate account exists under Docs&Settings, but no where else

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 scooterpd

scooterpd

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

My PC: HP Mini 1035nr running Windows XP Home w/SP3

I did a System Restore on my machine. Before the restore, when I turned my machine on it would go straight to my desktop. Now it takes me to the XP Login screen, but there is only one user available to click (user name= Hewlett-Packard, no password). When I get to my desktop everything runs fine. The strange part is that it looks as if System Restore made a new user account, because when I navigate Windows Explorer, under Local Disk (C:)/Documents and Settings/ I have the following folders... All Users, Default users, Hewlett-Packard, and Hewlett-Packard.PC12131968. If I want to save a file from online, it defaults to saving the file in my Hewlett-Packard.PC12131968 folder, which leads me to believe that I am logged in as that user. When I go to Control Panel > User Accounts, it only lists Hewlett-Packard as a user, not the .PC12131968 user account (if it is in fact a seperate user account at all. Furthermore, when I hit the Start button on my taskbar, it lists my user name as just Hewlett-Packard.

It is totally confusing me and I just want to use my old Hewlett-Packard account. Can anyone offer any advice or explaination to my situation. I would really appreciate any time and help that you can offer. Thank you very much. I can upload a screenshot or two if needed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr LunchBox

Mr LunchBox

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

You assumption is correct. It seems like you logged in to windows as one user but use applications as another.

This is what I would do and do when I get to peoples computers.

1. Create a different account. Probably you should use your name
2. Log in with the new account and see if you are still having the same issue.
3. If the issue was resolved then you will have to move your documents, favorites etc to your new profile. DO NOT COPY THE ENTIRE PROFILE ONLY WHAT YOU NEED>
4. IF you still have the issue where does it save to now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users