Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mobo Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cgoodpaster

cgoodpaster

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:03 PM

Hello. Recently, my power supply and, I suspect, other components in my computer fried. I replaced both the power supply and the motherboard, and I am still having issues. When I have everything plugged up and I turn the computer on, the fan from the video card starts up and then stops. It does this about 4-5 times before it stops. I don't know if this is related or not (it was the issue I was having BEFORE I replaced the mobo), but nothing appears on the monitor as well. I'm about to pull my hair out with this issue, as I've had no computer for about a month and a half now with no luck in fixing it. Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:45 PM

What brand is the power supply & how many Watts
What brand/model motherboard
What CPU do you have
What brand/model video card

It sounds like your power supply may be too weak .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 cgoodpaster

cgoodpaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:48 PM

What brand is the power supply & how many Watts - I had replaced the stock power supply with a Zumax 550W due to the last one burning out.

What brand/model motherboard - I just replaced the old one with a duplicate. It's an Asus P5N-D board.

What CPU do you have - The CPU is an Intel Quad Core 2.5 Ghz

What brand/model video card - The video is an Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT

*Edit* - This might shed some light on the problem (or perhaps it's the same thing) but I stuck my ear close to the video card and found that it doesn't totally stop. I noticed that it starts to spin really fast, as if the computer is trying to boot, but then it slows back down to normal speed again after a second or so. It does this 4-5 times (as stated) and the monitor remains blank.

Edited by cgoodpaster, 10 July 2009 - 10:46 PM.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:57 AM

The PSU you have shoud have enough juice to run it .

You did remember to plug in the "square" 4 pin CPU power lead, correct ?

If so I suggest trying a different video card just to see if the unit comes on.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 cgoodpaster

cgoodpaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:25 AM

Yup, triple checked everything to make sure everything was plugged in correctly. I swapped out the graphics card for an old, old PCI card I used to use and I got it to boot once. It made it to the login screen but was very sluggish. After attempting to load for about 20 seconds, it Blue Screened and hasn't booted up since. Also, before it was able to boot this one time, the amber light on my monitor sat for about 30 seconds before it would finally turn green and I would hear one POST beep.

*Another Edit* - I went to a friend's house and we swapped some of the parts to see if there would be any results. Upon putting my HDD in his computer, immediately after startup it BSOD's, flashing too fast for me to read anything. Afterwards it reboots and repeats. I also took his video card and put it in mine with similar results to my last post: No monitor signal, funny noises. At this point I'm at my wits end with this...as I've already replaced the parts numerous times and I still haven't fixed my computer.

Edited by cgoodpaster, 11 July 2009 - 04:47 PM.

#6 cgoodpaster

cgoodpaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 04:40 PM

*Bump* Anybody?

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:08 PM

I said the power supply toy have should have enough juice to run the unit but I mave have mis-spoke on that one.
With 2 12V rails it really depends on how the connectors are arranged on the rails.

Since you tried a lesser video card , which uses much less power, & got at least a sign of life I suggest you truy a different power supply.

The power supply is the heart of a computer.
you really need a decent one.

You may be looking at the rasted power of the PSU you have but the toyal is misleading.
assuming it actual puts out the rated power each 12V rail is rated at 20A
So if you do the math 20A X 12V = 240W per rail.

If the CPU & video card are on the same rail that PSU isn't strong enough to run the unit.

#8 gareth_f

gareth_f

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:22 AM

I dont know if you have tried this, but I would unplug everything - keyboard, mouse, all USB, remove the video card and any other cards and see what happens. Do you get any beeps from the mobo? Try taking out the RAM and see if you get any beep codes. If you do, then you at least know that your mobo is working. Try putting it back together one step at a time.

#9 cgoodpaster

cgoodpaster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:47 AM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll start shopping for a new power supply then. Do you have any certain brand you would recommend over others? Something that isn't too expensive but would pump out enough power?

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2009 - 01:53 PM

There are many brands out there. Two that come to mind are p/c power and cooling. priceeeee and Antec less money. I have used both and I now use a antec with duel cooling fans and two case fans next to it to pull heat from it. Never had problems with with eather. IMHO always get more power supply than you need. I you need 300w get 500w or more and so on. When you work a 300w p/s at 90% it doesn't last long. Hang in there because other members will most likely give you some more information on brands and wattage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users