Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP reboots at startup screen

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tsquared56

tsquared56

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

I have no idea if this is in the right place, or if this should be in the audio/video section, but I think my problem is XP-based.

I hooked up my speakers/sub to my computer tonight, and when I then played a music file, the screen went black, and my computer re-started. When it started back up I had an option to open in Safe Mode, or Last Known Configuration, or Normally. Neither Normal nor Last Known worked, because as soon as the black Windows XP screen came up, a couple seconds would pass and my computer would reboot again.

I then unhooked everything from the back of my sound card and restarted, and everything was fine. So I had the bright idea that the problem was my sound card; and I hooked the speakers/sub up to the on-board sound card. I played a music file again and everything was fine. So I went to move the computer tower back to the side of my desk, and when I moved it, the screen went blank and everything restarted again.

I'm now at the point where I can only get onto Windows via Safe Mode (with networking). System Restore to earlier today (before my problems occured) didn't work, either.

What should I do?

-Tim

Edit - I ran F10 on startup now to go into that Recovery Partition and when I ran the diagnostics, my hard drive failed all 4 of the tests. This is an old computer, so that's not really surprising, but can this be a hard drive issue if I can access this in Safe Mode?

Edited by tsquared56, 10 July 2009 - 07:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:14 AM

It probably can, considering it's an old computer. And by the way, what are your System Specs? (RAM, Processor, stuff like that.) And the name and model of your Sound Card. Safe Mode doesn't use alot of stuff normal XP uses, including Startup items.

Edited by SteinPooch, 11 July 2009 - 06:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users