Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pleasehelpme

pleasehelpme

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:04 PM

Hello,

My computer has recently died, and I can't get it to work. It is a Fujitsu Scaleo 600, and it is a Windows XP. When I turn it on, the usual XP screen does not come up. Instead there is just a Black screen with the message..
"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll"

There is nothing I can do to get it going. Will I have to buy software for it or can someone point me in the right direction to get it fixed. I don't want to take it to the repair shop, because they ripped me off the last time, and they were quite rude!!

Hope you can help......

Love

Sally

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:50 PM

Do you have the XP Disk? If so, you may be able to use the recovery console. As you may have guessed, you lost a file needed for windows to operate.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#3 rocknrollmatt

rocknrollmatt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 11:44 PM

sally-

go to another repair shop. your computer is broken.

im not an expert, but computers are like cars. there's only so much you can do on your own if your not a professional.

go somewhere else- find a nice person to help you- and get your comp going agian. if not , buy a new one.

sorry i cant fix it, but thats the low down.

#4 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 01:25 AM

Dear Sally,

I agree with effizzer on this matter. Try to recover using the Windows XP disc.

Now this could be tricky.

We will help.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#5 pleasehelpme

pleasehelpme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:13 AM

Thankyou everyone for your advice. I may go and see how much the XP disc is! Hope its not too pricey.

Will let you know how I get on.

Bye

Sally

#6 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 09:44 AM

I've found some ways to fix the problem for you. You can also go here to get some detailed info on how the Recovery Console works.

Option 1:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console. Then:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

Option 2:

Boot from your CD and follow the directions below to start Recovery Console.

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R.

If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console.
When prompted, type the Administrator password. (if you didn't create one try pressing enter).

At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

Most likely you will need to expand the file from the CD. The command would be expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll. Substitute d: for the drive letter of your CD. Once you have expanded the file type "exit" to exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#7 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 10:52 PM

Dear Sally,

Your computer came without a Windows XP disc?

No problem, a lot of computers come without one these days but they have recovery methods built in.

Re-start your computer and look at the screen to see which "F" button to push for recovery.

If you miss it, re-start and do it again.

Once in your recovery menu try to repair or such. If that does not work format and reload. My mini emachines came with no CD's and works much the same way.

Let us know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users