Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 deafracer

deafracer

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:59 PM

I work for a company that sends routers to me on occassion. My question is if there is a way to set up a "Testing" station to verify if a router is defective before I take it to a customers home.

I am supposed to return the routers if they are defective and just would like to set something up to check them quickly.

Currently in my home I have a cable modem and that goes to a D-Link WBR-2310 Wireless router. Hooked up to this router currently is 3 wired videophones and then the 4th port goes to a D-Link DES-1105 Ethernet Switch. From the Switch I have 2 more computers hooked up to this.

My thought is if there is a way to reorganize this system so that I can hook up a router and check the settings and then get online to verify it works and then if needed I could also turn on my laptop wireless to test the wireless routers I get.

Let's throw some ideas out here because I am willing to try anything to save the company money and keep from throwing some electronics away. I do know that unfortunately there are just a bunch of bad batches from a company.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:48 PM

Since you have a laptop that would be the test PC I'd use. Can test wireless and wired at the same time. Start off connecting the laptop to the test router and just make sure you can get in and see all the pages. If it gives you an IP address you'll know the DHCP server works, test it wired and wireless. Then I'd shut off the DHCP server on the test router and turn off the wireless on your home router. Connect the home router to the test router. With the laptop connected to the test router, see if you can connect to the net. This would test everything but the WAN port on the test router.

My other thought is get another switch or hub and connect it between the modem and the routers. I have never done this so I have no idea if that would work lol. I'd then plug cables from that hub to the WAN port on the routers as needed.

those are my thoughts on your questions...lol

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 deafracer

deafracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

When based in New York I was told to put a switch after the modem and then add the 2 routers from the switch. This would allow the routers to both identify their own IP address. But since I am not paying for 2 IP addresses I am wondering if this would still work.

The Videophones require a direct link to the modem and that is why I have the router before the switch and the computers are all mainly running from the switch.

What I really need is a simple way to connect another router and plug it into the laptop to get started. Then I can unplug the laptop and turn on the wireless to verify that it is working. If I plug the other router into the switch with the current settings would it work or will this mess the results up?

If I knew that the switch being first and then the routers off of the switch would work at home, then I would just do that. Not really interested in getting under the desk and digging around the wires and disconnecting everyones comps without a guarantee that this would work. :thumbsup:

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:55 PM

You would need to turn off the DHCP server on the second router but yes it would work. Don't plug it into the WAN port of the second router....just one of the ports.

Next time you get router to test, pop down to Wal-Mart and get a switch. Try it and see. If it works there ya go if not, return it. Wal-Mart will take anything back lol

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 deafracer

deafracer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:08 PM

I will try that.

Should the switch be before the router or after? I have half a dozen switches in my garage from a previous job that I can use.

Thanks for the ideas.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:34 PM

After modem and plug both routers into the switch. I am curious if it will work. Some ISPs make you clone the MAC of a single PC. If yours doesn't then don't worry. I hope it works lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users