Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:54 PM
This is XP Pro SP2 on a wired network w/linksys router.
I have issues with both IE and FF not loading some websites. It seems to load most what I will call top-level domains (aol.com, cnet.com, etc) But I tend to get issues when I get deeper into the site (aol.com/suchandsuchpagename.html or suchandsuch.aol.com). It give me a network time out. I played some of the internet options per MS help site but I haven't seen any improvement.
I'm sure it's a setting issue somewhere but I did a few different things trying to fix my issues (to varying degrees of success).
About a year ago I had a bout of whataboutadog. After getting great help here, I followed advice and installed Comodo. That kept the boogey man out but browsing was just sooo slow. Plus for some reason the chat feature wouldn't work on Facebook. I clicked around Comodo settings but never could figure out what settings, what security level,....
So I just tolerated it since I knew things were basically ok. Fast forward to a month ago. I have 3 other comps 2 laptops, 1 desktop all vista (plus xbox) on same network. They all see each other but this comp has always been out of the loop. I've managed to get itunes to see and share libraries but it doesn't always cooperate. I tried MS help sites b/c I knew it was some sort of network setting on this XP machine. I ended up going in and playing with some of the network settings and installed some of the networking items (ftp, client for windows, etc). this comp still didn't pop up on the network. I'm sure I didn't set something correctly there too.
After doing this my FF stopped working. I got an instant error pop-up (don't remember what it said). But IE continued to work.
I went into Comodo and tried to see if there was some sort of setting in there that was giving me issues or at least figure out what kind of general maintenance I could do (quarantine/remove found files, download an update, etc). After giving up trying to decide between learn mode, safe mode, learn in safe mode.... I clicked to a huge list of 1000's of files. I think they were a log of .exe files that Comodo kept. It gave me options like quarantine, make safe, purge, etc.
Well.... I ended up quarantining all the files (this one was accident - I meant to purge). Then IE stopped working too. I ended up uninstalling Comodo and things really got a lot better. I turned on windows firewall for now. I reinstalled FF (it works). I installed IE8 but I didn't like some of the default features (bing) and thought it was part of my problem too so I uninstalled ie8 and went back to IE7 (it works).
I ran spybot and adaware (twice each), then ran disc cleanup and then defragged my C:
Like I said, I can access *most* sites except google and specific pages deep within sites.
There are probably multiple issues here but I'd like it if this comp could:
1) be able to access all web pages
2) be on the network
3) lay golden eggs