Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Conversion US to UK (120V to 240V)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Decryptic

Decryptic

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:35 PM

I have a Dell Studio 15 laptop, that is US 120V and has a 65W battery. I'd like to know if there is a laptop power adapter that has the capability of plugging the 120V laptop directly into a 240V wall socket in the UK without needing an additional converter adapter. In other words, I'm looking to basically replace the 120V power brick/plug with a 240V one that can convert to 120V already. Thanks for any help or tips you can give me on this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:00 PM

Is it something like this you are after? Notebook power adapter
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:52 PM

Also, double check the rating of the existing power pack. For some time manufacturers have used worldwide capable SMPS bricks with 100 - 240V ratings, both my older Compaq and newer HP have this. All I would need is an IEC mains lead with the correct local plug, or a plug adapter.

If yours really is 120V only, then andrewww's suggestion is the way to go.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Decryptic

Decryptic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:46 PM

Thanks for the great tips guys. It sounds like a plug adapter is probably the best way to go. The power brick itself IS rated for 100V through 240V.

#5 Decryptic

Decryptic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:48 PM

How about something like this? http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/electrical...se-black-2m.htm

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 12:57 AM

Ideal if you're sure you only need to adapt for the UK and nowhere else in Europe. Of course an adapter can always be obtained at the destination, but maybe at higher cost, for the tourist... :thumbsup:

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users