Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is a Rootkit?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 newpat

newpat

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:20 PM

Hello all you experts!

I keep reading about 'rootkits'! Tried to find out WHAT they are but no one answers the question directly, just get directed to pages with stuff I don't understand and previous threats!! Not much help to me, I'm afraid.
Being an older computer user, I find the details VERY confusing. So, what is a rootkit? and how do I know if I have any of these. Also, does anybody know if my Norton 360 includes an anti-rootkit 'bit'?
Looked at some reviews on anti-rootkits, but they all are older by years, nothing up-to-date!!

I installed Spybot S & D last night, and when I turned on my computer today, it was slow and I could not get Internet Explorer to open. I deleted Spybot and now I am 'surfing', so was something wrong with it??

Hopefully some of my 'new friends' (all you lovely Bleepers) can answer some of these questions where the 'experts' have failed. Even my trusty Computeractive failed me!!

Thanks. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

The basic answer is... A rootkit is a "program" that attacks the "root" of Vista or XP. It attacks the very core (system) files (The guts of the operating system) :thumbsup: . It doesn't usually infect your personal files like some viruses will, but it does invite other malware to infect your computer as a part of its methods. Norton's does help, but one program will usually not protect you completely. It is mainly a combination of programs and being sure Windows and other programs are updated.

Spybot is a fair program. It has a component called Teatimmer that helps protect you by notifying you of certain changes. That added protection may slow you down some, but it should slow down a lot.

I hope this helps :flowers:

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 newpat

newpat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 04:56 PM

Hi
Thanks for the reply. At last an answer I understood.

As I have said, I uninstalled Spybot to see if that was why I lost my Internet, which is now ok! Do you think I should re-install this, Spybot, I mean?

Regards

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:05 PM

Many people use Spybot. Personally I do not. One of my first mentors swore by SpywareBlaster. It is also free. Take a look at it. http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users