Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do you know a getaround for "access denied" in DOS?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 megan21266

megan21266

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

My computer has crashed, and, bottom line, I may or may not have lost tons of data. I'm trying to get to it through the recovery console, but DOS won't let me change into the "documents and settings" folder, or any of its subfolders. It just says "access is denied". I am signed in as the administrator, and can't get into Win xp (I installed a parallel installation which can't find the old info -- I know, that's not the way it's supposed to go, but it's the way it is...). So, I'm hoping hoping HOPING there's some getaround through DOS to evade the "access denied" error.

Any thoughts or help??

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

Try this instead of DOS

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=4581

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:28 PM

I don't know about your parallel installation and DaChew is on it, but learned a lot about RC lately.

Recovery Console maneuvering commands are a little different that what you are probably used to.

Here is an MS page that lists the RC commands available (for advanced users :thumbsup: ) or you can just type help. for the list.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

What folder are you in when you boot into RC?

The most encouraging answer would be C:\WINDOWS.

You would think that to get back to C:\ from C:\WINDOWS you would type in cd.. or cd\ but nooooo. You must type in cd \ to get back to C:\. I have not tried paths with spaces, so you may have to experiment. Wildcards will work in a command window but I am not sure about RC - like:

cd docum* (might need to be cd \docum* or cd c:\docum* - try several).

Moving around in RC just takes a little more thought.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users