Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

German admits creating Sasser

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:12 PM

A German youth has admitted to creating the Sasser computer virus during the first day of his trial in Germany. BBC News World Edition Tuesday, 5 July, 2005, 13:44 GMT 14:44 UK Sven Jaschan is charged with computer sabotage, disrupting public services and illegally altering data. The 19-year-old is being tried as a minor behind closed doors as he was 17 when he wrote the worm. Sasser wrought havoc in many companies when the Windows worm struck in May 2004, swamping net links and making computers unusable.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:56 PM

Update:

VERDEN, GERMANY - The German teenager who created the Sasser and Nesky computer worms that created havoc for computers around the world was convicted Friday of computer sabotage and given a suspended sentence.

Court gives Sasser creator suspended sentence

Not my idea of justice!!!!
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 elzosim

elzosim

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:44 AM

The creator of Sasser has been convicted.

According to the BBC article,

Sven Jaschan was found guilty of computer sabotage and illegally altering data...

However "...Sven Jaschan avoided a jail sentence by the skin of his teeth because he was arrested within days of his 18th birthday.."

Original BBC article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4659329.stm

Eleftheria

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2005 - 07:27 AM

He has had two years to worry about what was going to happen to him which is about what jail sentence he would have gotten, and hopefully learned his lesson.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:06 AM

Web users say Sasser punishment too light

Edited by Scarlett, 13 July 2005 - 10:32 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users