Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need NetBios?.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 01:36 PM

I have copied the most of this post from a similar one I have over on the Comodo forum. I am using the latest version of Comodo CIS v3.10.531 and have checked using GRC Shields Up that I am completely stealthed from the internet and pass all the tests. However I am getting an awful lot of intrusion attempts which are blocked by the firewall to ports 135, 137, 138, 139 and 445. At Shields Up by clicking on the port number it tells you what it is needed for etc etc and these ports are all to do with the NetBios and DHCP functions. I have a specific rule set in Comodo Global rules to allow ports 67 & 68 in order to renew my PC address from my ISP which is working perfectly. I have Googled and searched both here and at the Comodo Forums and come up with the following articles but am not sure which is the best one to apply for my specific needs which is to reduce the amount of logged intrusion attempts on my PC. My PC operating system is Windows XP Home Edition SP3, and is up to date using Windows Update. It is a standalone PC on a Cable Broadband account with Virgin Media here in the UK with no router and accessed by a Fast Ethernet Connection modem and is shared between me and my grown up daughter ie two accounts both with administrative authority. While checking out the port information at Shield up I came across an article and a link to a program called DECOMBOB which I also haven't used until I find out if it is a good idea to use it or not. Has anyone here used this program and is it recommended?. Thanks in advance for any help.

Disable NetBIOS on the DHCP server
To disable NetBIOS on the DHCP server, follow these steps:
1.Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click DHCP.
2.In the navigation pane, expand the server_name, expand Scope, right-click Scope Options, and then click Configure Options.

Note In this step, the server_name placeholder specifies the name of the DHCP server.
3.Click the Advanced tab, and then click Microsoft Windows 2000 Options in the Vendor class list.
4.Make sure that Default User Class is selected in the User class list.
5.Click to select the 001 Microsoft Disable Netbios Option check box, under the Available Options column.
6.In the Data entry area, type 0x2 in the Long box, and then click OK.
Configure the DHCP client to enable the DHCP server to determine NetBIOS behavior
For Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows 2000
1.On the desktop, right-click My Network Places, and then click Properties.
2.Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties
3.In the Components checked are used by this connection list, double-click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click Advanced, and then click the WINS tab.

Note In Windows XP and in Windows Server 2003, you must double-click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in the This connection uses the following items list.
4.Click Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server, and then click OK three times.

How to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP?
In Windows 2000/XP/2003 you have the possibility to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. You do this by right-clicking on My Network Places and selecting Properties. Then right-click on the appropriate Local Area Connection icon, and select Properties.

Next, click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and Properties.

Now click Advanced, and select the WINS tab.

There you can enable or disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

The changes take effect immediately without rebooting the system.
You will get an event in your event log if you do not also disable the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service service. You can Disable this service in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services if desired.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users